WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of oil, I have been going through my old ABU Ambassadeurs lately and upgrading them to Boca Ceramic bearings.
I have used Zoom sewing machine oil, transmission fluid, yellow rocket fuel, Quantum hot sauce, hair clipper oil and everything in between in them over the years but these ceramic bearings can be run dry without oil or just a single drop.

I know this might sound crazy but since then I have been experimenting around not using any oil at all but using this new ceramic and nano particle spray car wax as a lube. I just spray the entire reel soaking wet and shake it out and let it dry.

I'm not gonna lie, these things will sing now. I can now spin the spool on a few of them and the levelwind makes a full trip as many as 6-7 times and they cast phenomenally for the old school reels that they are.
I am not recommending this to the average guy because I have about 35-40 junkers for parts and have as many as 7 upgrade bearings in some but it sure is fun listening to these things sizzle. I even hit my neighbors roof with a 1/2 sinker cast that got away from me. HA.
My Lil Hotrods from the 70s and 80s. hard to find 5500c high speed in black, even harder to find 5500 high speed in brown and a more standard flavor gunmetal 5500C high speed.
20230502_161340.jpg

Last edited:

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gave my granddaughter a Remington 788 when she moved away, she came back for Christmas and said it wouldn't work, sure enough you couldn't even pull the trigger. took it apart and asked her what she did to it. she said all she had done with was sprayed it w wd40 and put it in closet. with a little free all had it working in short order then sprayed it out with action blaster, a drop or two of oil and its worked great ever since.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BG Products has a spray penetrating oil called In-Force, i use it on just about everything. A little goes a long way, doesn't harm finishes on anything ive sprayed it on yet, and works better than pb blaster for freeing up a stuck or angry bolt.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[11][12] This outer skin also functioned as the outer wall of the missile's delicate balloon tanks. The tank walls, just 0.1 inches (2.5 mm) to 0.4 inches (10 mm),[13] were so fragile that, when empty, they had to be kept inflated with nitrogen to prevent them from collapsing. WD-40 was later found to have many household uses[1] and was made available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.[11]

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gave my granddaughter a Remington 788 when she moved away, she came back for Christmas and said it wouldn't work, sure enough you couldn't even pull the trigger. took it apart and asked her what she did to it. she said all she had done with was sprayed it w wd40 and put it in closet. with a little free all had it working in short order then sprayed it out with action blaster, a drop or two of oil and its worked great ever since.
that,2 odd because wd is on all my guns inside and out for 40 + years never had that happen. don't have a rusty gun either

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late grandfather wiped all the blued surfaces on his guns with WD40 after handing. Of course I followed his lead for several years and never had an issue with rust etc. After all there wasn't alot of options before all the modern cleaners and lubricants. However, give me WD40 over Remoil any day. That crap caused me more problems than it ever fixed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom