How do you store your HD shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to move from pistol to shotgun as home defense weapon. My question is: how can a person store his HD shotgun in a locked but quick access location? Basically, I want to keep the little ones out but be able to get to the shotty in a hurry. The pistol is easy: I have it in a handgun safe. The 870 won't fit there...

dsearcy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trigger locks are another option. Master Lock and others make versions that lock with a key or combination. Others may suggest locking up the ammo in a safe, or buying a larger safe. In my opinion, triggers make a lot of sense when you have children. And they are rather inexpensive.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how "little" your little ones are.

My Mossberg 590 is set up thusly.

Magazine full (7 rounds).

Chamber empty.

Action cocked. Meaning I opened the action, removed the shell from the carrier, and closed the action. Rendering it in a cocked condition, but on an empty chamber. This locks up the scattergun unless you engage the lever.

Safety off.

If the SHTF, Mrs GED and I both know to pick up the shotgun, pull the trigger once to clear the action, give it a good pump - ready to go.

You might wanna take one of your guns, unload it, check it a gozillion times to make sure it IS unloaded, lock up all your ammo to that weapon in your car and give the weapon to your kid(s) and let them play with it until their heart's content. Pretty soon, you'll walk in the room, see them watching TV with the gun lying in the floor. They'll lose interest in it and it won't be so mysterious to them any longer.

Then, pick it up, ask them if they have played with it enough, give it a good cleaning and load it up and put it back into service. You won't have any more nosy kids. ;)

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My two cents is put it up high with a few in the tube. Locks are just part of the modern day PC movement to make us sheeple and think we are safe. It is useless unloaded in the dark with a lock on it. Then imagine you trying to fumble around with the keys if they are handy, then finding were you put the shells, then the loading, then the bad thing that you fear isnt happening but allready happened and the shot gun nothing more than a usless club.

Dont forget that teaching children gun sfety is never to early and to not mess with firearms is better than an gun lock will ever be.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont forget that teaching children gun sfety is never to early and to not mess with firearms is better than an gun lock will ever be.

Hear! Hear! :thumb:

My kids were both born around guns. They are just a part of their lives. Just like they know a knife can cut you and a heater can burn you, they know that if mishandled, a gun can shoot you.

I taught them both how to treat guns by the time they could understand me.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My kids were both born around guns. They are just a part of their lives. Just like they know a knife can cut you and a heater can burn you, they know that if mishandled, a gun can shoot you.

Mine is still in the womb, but he hears about guns all the time!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might wanna take one of your guns, unload it, check it a gozillion times to make sure it IS unloaded, lock up all your ammo to that weapon in your car and give the weapon to your kid(s) and let them play with it until their heart's content. Pretty soon, you'll walk in the room, see them watching TV with the gun lying in the floor. They'll lose interest in it and it won't be so mysterious to them any longer.

Then, pick it up, ask them if they have played with it enough, give it a good cleaning and load it up and put it back into service. You won't have any more nosy kids. ;)

Sounds like the voice of experience. GED that is by far one of the best answers I have ever heard. LOL

My son is allowed to pick up a gun anytime he wants to, he just has to ask. No matter what I am doing if he says dad can I see my rifle I set everything else aside and we go get it. He asks about once every 6 months if he can hold my .45 or the wifes, just to see if he can pick it up and hold it up enough to shoot.

Last but not least take them shooting let them see what ammo does to a water jug, a pumpkin etc let em feel that boom when you pull the trigger.(my boy shot his first .410 at 4 years old)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Same here, my kids have no issues, and understand that guns can hurt someone. My son ask's every so often to handle his rifle or pistol. No problem, we go get it, he even clears it, and after a few minutes is done. My daughter could care less, she likes to go shoot, but after that she doesn't really want anything else to do with it. You gotta teach'em early, and get them to see there isn't anything majical about them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom