How far should political correctness take us?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So - there's a market for a select group of folks. (gay, black, bald, short, whatever)
That sounds like an opportunity for one of "the group" (or someone willing to serve the group) to sell, and fill the niche.

Do you reckon Jews forced butcher shops to not butcher pork so they could buy lamb, beef or chicken that wasn't "contaminated"? (not Kosher)

Or do you suppose some enterprising fellow saw a market, and opened shop? That's how it's supposed to work.

That is how we should look at the situation. Not like IO want to eat any food from a person forced to fix it for me...... :)

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if National TV stations should be forced to run commercials for guns during the super bowl? Or during prime time TV, it seems like I have heard they object to that. Why is that different?

Seems like they are all the same...
They are all parts of the "Freedom of Speech", whether that speech is audio(speaking) or visual(holding signs), or physical(making the signs\cakes\...).
We all want our right to free speech, we don't really care about anyone elses' free speech until it interferes with ours.
This argument is the same as it has been forever. we all want our rights but are not willing to stand/argue/fight for anyone elses rights. I just hope there are enough of us left to fight for the ones that are important to us when they finally come to remove those rights.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Protected class. If you refuse to serve anyone wearing an OU shirt, you're good to go. If you refuse to serve any black people, you're in violation. In this country we do not allow "public" businesses to discriminate against people based on certain factors. Race, gender, religion, etc.. Don't like it, don't open a business. But that's the law, and for damn good reason.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Protected class. If you refuse to serve anyone wearing an OU shirt, you're good to go. If you refuse to serve any black people, you're in violation. In this country we do not allow "public" businesses to discriminate against people based on certain factors. Race, gender, religion, etc.. Don't like it, don't open a business. But that's the law, and for damn good reason.

In private transactions there should be no "protected classes".

The amount of control you want to exert over the lives of others (either by your hand or someone else's, such as that of the government) is sickening.

I'm also thinking you don't know the difference between a private business and a public institution.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a really hard time with the "Christian" argument. I bet this same guy has baked cakes for adulterers, and thieves without any problem. There are plenty of things the Bible and Christianity say are wrong, however you still have adulterers, thieves, child molesters and drug users in positions of power in churches. A gay couple want you to bake them a cake and that is where you draw the line?

This was not just a gay couple wanting a generic cake. It was a wedding cake. I would imagine if the drug user wanted a cake that looked like a heroine needle, the baker would probably have not done that either. If I was king, private businesses would be able to serve or not serve whoever they wanted. Don't want to serve me because I'm Catholic? Fine. I'll go to someone who does. Companies that serve the public interest, such as utilities, should not have that same flexibility though.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In private transactions there should be no "protected classes".

The amount of control you want to exert over the lives of others (either by your hand or someone else's, such as that of the government) is sickening.

I'm also thinking you don't know the difference between a private business and a public institution.

If you will note, I put public in quotes. Walmart is a public business that is publicly owned. ALDI is a public business that is privately owned. They do business with the general public, i.e., a public business. The ownership is irrelevant. Oak Tree Country Club is a private club, i.e., a private business. They are allowed to exclude anyone they want. In a private transaction, i.e., you and another person, you can not deal with anyone for any reason. You're not a public business.

The simple fact is, any company that is open to the public, cannot discriminate based on protected classes. That's the law of the land. It's settled law. If the SCOTUS rules that homosexuality is a protected class, they will have the same protections under the law that the other protected classes have.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you will note, I put public in quotes. Walmart is a public business that is publicly owned. ALDI is a public business that is privately owned. They do business with the general public, i.e., a public business. The ownership is irrelevant. Oak Tree Country Club is a private club, i.e., a private business. They are allowed to exclude anyone they want. In a private transaction, i.e., you and another person, you can not deal with anyone for any reason. You're not a public business.

The simple fact is, any company that is open to the public, cannot discriminate based on protected classes. That's the law of the land. It's settled law. If the SCOTUS rules that homosexuality is a protected class, they will have the same protections under the law that the other protected classes have.

You are correct, it is the law. And, to quote from Oliver Twist: "the law is a ass"

I have my own business, I advertise to the public - if I run across someone I don't want to do business with, I don't. Period. Doesn't matter why, it's nobody's concern except me and the other party.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So I guess, that when Christians achieve the vaunted "protected class" status then they too can have their values protected rather than prosecuted by government?

Oh wait, don't we already have some musty old document that forbids government from favoring or establishing a religion?

Is homosexuality achieving a religious status? If so would they run into the same issues Christians are seeing?

The "gaystopo" is not about empowering anyone, it is oppression and and smothering of public discourse at every turn and any cost. We'll tell you what you can and cannot believe......

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You are correct, it is the law. And, to quote from Oliver Twist: "the law is a ass"

I have my own business, I advertise to the public - if I run across someone I don't want to do business with, I don't. Period. Doesn't matter why, it's nobody's concern except me and the other party.

And that's okay. But, if you're ever sued, and found guilty, for refusing to do business with, let's say handicapped people, you will pay the price. There is nothing there that says you have to do business with everyone, it only says you can't exclude a segment of the population based on certain criteria. If I called you and requested your service, you could say, "screw off Ace, I don't like your way of thinking." No problem. If Mohammad called and requested your service, you can not say, "screw off, I don't do business with rag-heads." And you're wrong, it is other people's concern. You do not do business in a vacuum. In your business you use publicly funded roads. You use infrastructure pay for by the public. If you need the police or fire department, those are provided by the public dollar. It goes one and on. You do not get to use the public to provide the basic needs of your business, and then exclude them from your services. And you know this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom