How good is camo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never invested much in camo. I usually buy a pair or two of camo wranglers and a t-shirts from wally world when they go on sale. Both my parkas came from there on sale as well. I wear it, but my first deer I got up from the breakfast table and shot it off the back porch. Not really needed there. In TX where I've done and do the majority of my hunting it is all spot and stalk so I always just worn blue jeans and a light camo jacket and t-shirt. Walking gorges gets hot in a hurry. I don't think I had on any camo when I shot my 12 pointer out in TX.

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does a carhart jacket and levis count as camo? Just whatched a deer come with in 50 feet of me today. Stayed still and it came on in. Several others went away. A deer can sense you three ways. Hear you, smell you, or see you. He must do two of them to make him run off. There vision appears to be poor, but the hearing and smelling are quite acute. Just my opinion. later rdd

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah the camo debate, camo is like those really cool fly fishing flys most are made to catch fishermen :-)

Out in Western Ok Carhart brown duck camo rules! you blend in and look like every other farmer out there. Deer say hey farmer feed cows and I get to eat some awesome alfalfa pellets he's got to be a good guy but I've never seen him this far away from the truck wonder what he is doing? oh well BOOM! hehe

When I wear camo truth I'm not trying to hide from the game animals I'm hiding from the people that could be coming into the area, I think if you take a shower and don't smell like Eddie's FRY IT ALL you just wore your camo into for lunch (how many times ya see that fella's) and can sit still pretty sure that Santa suit would work just take the batteries out of the lights flashing lights COULD get the games attention and possibly scare it :thumbup3: Later,

Kirk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The duck brown is also great in Colorado where you'll look just like an elk. When you're on a mountain full of people pointing rifles at you, it's a lonesome feeling.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being still is what matters most.

That being said, I wear camo. I like either the old woodland style or Cabela's Outfitter patterns. Simple stuff. If nothing else, it's drab and helps me blend and break up my outline and makes me feel like I'm not as obvious, even if it's just to people. Feels more fitting than wearing neon green hotpants and Whitesnake t-shirt in the woods. I friggin' hate blaze orange with a passion. Not because deer see it, but people do and it makes me feel goofy. I usually wear drab outdoors, even if I'm not hunting.

I put no faith in all the "redneck fashion" styles they advertise on TV. And it pisses me of it's harder to find woodland and Outfitter pattern camo than it is all the fad camo. I think I'll hunt in drab colored hiking/outdoor clothing before I buy anymore fad camo. Not that I've bought any to speak of recently.

This is the Cabela's outfitter stuff. I mainly like the fleece because it's quiet/warm/dry in light rains.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_007.jpg

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lonsome feeling is the fact you have a mountain full of idiots pointing guns at you! or is that the scared feeling either way you need some orange on ya when rifle hunting! when it comes to calling yotes camo is king, biggest thing to do is cover up your hands and face I don't know about you but for some reason the yotes don't think I'm a sexy man? they see my face and turn tail and run! kinda hurts my feelings :-( Later,

Kirk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lonsome feeling is the fact you have a mountain full of idiots pointing guns at you! or is that the scared feeling either way you need some orange on ya when rifle hunting! when it comes to calling yotes camo is king, biggest thing to do is cover up your hands and face I don't know about you but for some reason the yotes don't think I'm a sexy man? they see my face and turn tail and run! kinda hurts my feelings :-( Later,

Kirk

It's not just the orange, it's the public land. There's an old cartoon with a lady standing over a dead dun mule, and there's a punchy looking old guy with his hands up.

"I know he's your elk lady, just let me get my saddle off him."

Latest posts

Top Bottom