How good is camo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swear to God one of these seasons I'm gonna hunt wearing an Hawaiian shirt and swim trunks.

Wear Gram Parsons camo.

a24.media.tumblr.com_tumblr_kodi7nvKzL1qznbzio1_500.jpg

I just feel better in stuff that doesn't stick out when outdoors. I even make a point to wear green/brown while fishing certain places. I don't know why really. I KNOW it makes it harder for people to see me when bowhunting, and I like that.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even Chuck Adams started wearing camo, but I'm sure money was involved in that decision.

Camo is effective in that it breaks up your outline. Especially when bowhunting. But, even a good plaid will do that. Camo is much more effective at deceiving human eyes than anything else. I've had people come within 5 yards of me, and never saw me. And that was while on the ground.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If deer were as stupid as people, hunting them wouldn't be any fun.

I could totally sneak up on my hunting partners, and probably climb their tree and shank them with an arrow.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Off the ground doesn't matter (stand or even 6ft up the tree).

On the ground it does in my experience. In ghillie deer never noticed me just walked by. Solid color - they spot you from 30-50 yards: if you don't move they don't know what you are and keep moving, but also keep looking at you. Of course with the rifle sub 30yard distance don't matter, but with a traditional bow, when you have to stand up on the ground - it basically impossible to harvest deer if they spotted something "off": any sign of movement launches them off!

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been questioning my stance on camo recently as well. I've got a turnip patch below the house and been sitting in the hill in the evenings in different attire to see if it changes anything. camo shirt w brown pants, gray shirt w black pants, etc. been busted twice in the past 2 weeks. Sitting indian style in the tall grass, once with blue jeans and camo shirt, once with blue jeans and gray shirt.
don't say much about the camo, but I don't think blue jeans will be in my wardrobe this year. I'll let you know if I have any revelations.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are most of you guys in stands? i read a lot of testimonials about the 'leaf' suit last year and went out and bought one. some of the testimonials said they were on the ground and deer could not see them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are most of you guys in stands? i read a lot of testimonials about the 'leaf' suit last year and went out and bought one. some of the testimonials said they were on the ground and deer could not see them.

Ya know, its hard to say?
I started this thread knowing that I've killed deer in street clothes, and in camo. Some sitting on the ground, and some in stands.
I'm thinking scent control is the most important.
That being said, I'm of the firm opinion that scent can never be eliminated.
Case in fact: Drug cartels routinely put things like calone, etc in their drug shipment to try and cancel out the drug smell.
The dogs have no problem figuring this out.
Back when I ran beagles for rabbits, it took a dog about two feet of tracking to determine which direction the rabbit was going by smelling the "heat" of the track.
The INS and AG inspectors at airports use beagles for sniffing dogs to detect illegal fruits and veggi's coming into the country.

Next Post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom