How is central Oklahoma fixed for good gunstores?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all....... Longtime Lurker here with the above question.

I am considering retiring from the Navy in the next couple of years and would like to move back home to Oklahoma when Uncle Sam and I are done with each other. One of my ideas for a post military career is opening up a nice gunstore and making that my new pursuit in life.

I have been doing a fair amount of research on ffl and business plans, but obviously don't want to try a new start-up in a saturated market. So how does the ffl/gunstore situation look in the Shawnee, OKC metro areas? Any glaring needs currently going unfilled?

Thanks for any input.

S/F
Terry

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it would be tough to survive in the OKC metro area as just a gun store, unless you offered something or a service not available elsewhere.

There's already well established shops here like H&H (gun range, firearms mega mall of sorts) and Outdoor America in OKC. Sooner State Pawn offers some great deals on the south side of town and people who have bought from there love it from I hear. Edmond has Heartland Outdoors, which is a shop and gun range. Also, you are competing against a handful of Academy stores who also sell firearms. You also have a number of garage / 1 man type shops that can order anything at a reduced rate and usually specialize in custom AR kits and builds like Cold Hand Arms, ect. Plus, the number of other smaller gunshops and pawnshops that exist that I haven't mentioned or even know about.

The OKC metro area is pretty saturated and unless you really offered something the existing stores don't have or can't do, it's going to be hard. I've pondered opening a firearms store close to downtown OKC, and for what I want to do and concept I want to implement would be an all or nothing ordeal that would either result in openings in multiple cities, tapping into a demographic ignored by all gun shops, or fail miserably and leaving me in debt for the rest of my life.

I'm not as familiar with areas outside the metro like Shawnee, but may fare better in places out of the metro.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is plenty of business for everyone, you cant have too many gunshops.

Also, they keep everything competitive, and eliminate those who tend to rip people off.

Saying there are too many gunshops is like saying there are too many beautiful women.

It just isn't true.

Thanks.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good input guys..... please keep it coming.

I figured the big box places like Bass-Pro would be something of an issue. I have done several internet searches for gun stores/FFLs in the OKC area and across central Oklahoma and get a limited number of hits. All the players you guys listed above consistently come up. I'm not as concerned about the stores in OKC itself. I guess I am mostly interested in the Shawnee, Harrah, and McLoud area.

I AM happy that there is an active community of good Stores and FFLs in the area. I truly miss that out here in California. We have a growing community of shooters and stores out here, but likely no where near what is back home.

The little one-man "Pop" shops are one thing that I can't seem to capture online. I did see a couple of gunsmiths listed in McLoud and Harrah as well as some places that offer training. Anyone with clear intel on these areas?

Thanks,

Terry

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain of previous posters. If you offer good prices and great service there's always room in the market. There are several places that offer one or the other but few that offer both.

Outdoor America- decent prices, poor service. Heartland Outdoors- nice guys, higher prices. Gun World- high prices, crappy service. H&H- average prices, average service. Academy- decent prices, low selection, unknowledgeable staff.
There is a few more average shops around. Be the best at what you do and the market will definately make room for you.

There is a couple places listed above that act like they are doing you a favor by taking your money and have been in business for a long time. Good luck and thanks for serving our country.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
@ Rooster.......

I agree with what you are saying about service and price. I have an acquaintance here locally that started a really nice Gun Store about 4 years ago and has become a major player in an area where there are 4 established shops have been around for 15-30 years. His formula is stupid-simple: Provide GREAT customer service, be reasonable on pricing for guns and accessories and always be friendly to even the looky-loos that come through the door. He always ensures that his staff is friendly and knowledgeable, up-to-date on current law (important in Cali) and he has gone gang-busters.

That is the kind of shop I would want to have.

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@ Rooster.......

I agree with what you are saying about service and price. I have an acquaintance here locally that started a really nice Gun Store about 4 years ago and has become a major player in an area where there are 4 established shops have been around for 15-30 years. His formula is stupid-simple: Provide GREAT customer service, be reasonable on pricing for guns and accessories and always be friendly to even the looky-loos that come through the door. He always ensures that his staff is friendly and knowledgeable, up-to-date on current law (important in Cali) and he has gone gang-busters.

That is the kind of shop I would want to have.

Then you should be good to go!!

PM Sent.....

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being a rude a$$ Richard Crainium is my biggest peeve. Thats why I got into the "business".

I got SO tired of feeling belittled just by walking into 99% of gunshops. Then buy somthing just to find out 6 months later, I got raped.

I am just a little "kitchen table" dealer. I rarely miss an email, or miss returning a phone call. If I cant get a customer the best price, I try to find the best buy for them.

Sometimes I can beat the big store prices, sometimes I can not.

However, in my puny little mind (< PH quote), the MOST IMPORTANT thing is treat the customer with respect, dont try to BS your way into a sale, tell the truth, (even if

it means you lose a sale).

It is not about you making the sale, it's about the satisfation of your customer, you make things great, easy, and add a wonderful experience for your customer, and they

will come back, in addition, they will tell their friends, brothers, fathers, etc.

I am in no way a gun shop in the ranks,

BUT I have came a LONG way from 17 months ago when I started, and just had enough money to buy 2 guns, and literally made about 10 bucks each.

One thing is for sure, You will probably never get rich by selling NEW guns.

You do it becuse you love it, you love the visiting, getting to look at firearms that otherwise you would have never seen in your life.

You meet all walks of life, all mentalities that cover the whole span of humanity.

The first day that I wake up, and see that Ive turned into that ******* gun dealer, I will quit the business.

Just felt like sharing, hope it wasnt too much of a bore!

CHEERS

Latest posts

Top Bottom