How is central Oklahoma fixed for good gunstores?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check out Lawton. I don't live there anymore, but back when I did a person had to drive to Duncan for a decent gun store. Unless things have changed, I believe a good store with an indoor range would be a good investment at Lawton.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reddog, I like your philosophy and have read your posts over time. I'm up in Tulsa from time to time and would definitely give you my business.

I've been in business for myself for 5 years. I've tried to provide the best service at reasonable prices. All my work has been off referrals and have done well. I was nervous leaving a steady gig, but it has seemed almost to easy. I have never been happier. Feel truly blessed.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being a rude a$$ Richard Crainium is my biggest peeve. Thats why I got into the "business".

I got SO tired of feeling belittled just by walking into 99% of gunshops. Then buy somthing just to find out 6 months later, I got raped.

<snipped for length.... But read original post. Great stuff>:sunbath:

The first day that I wake up, and see that Ive turned into that ******* gun dealer, I will quit the business.

Just felt like sharing, hope it wasnt too much of a bore!

CHEERS

Reddog.... That pretty much sums up how I feel. Great attitude on display and I sincerely hope it is paying off for you.

I think what you outlined is why my acquaintance Nate is so successful with his store. He came into the business after working as a teacher out here and had NO business back-ground, just a drive to succeed and a great sense of customer service. I've seen him make referrals to other like minded gun store owners (and there are damn few of them) knowing that he would loose that particular sale, but the customer would be happy. Pretty sure that's why he has such a loyal base.

Here's hoping that you have continued success and maybe some day we'll bounce referrals to each other.

S/F
Terry

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teufeldoc- An important question for you is- Are you interested in this being your full time (Second) career and make a living off it, run it as an interest/ hobby (Hobby sounds kind of petty, but I believe it's the correct term), or somewhere in between?

Commercial success is different than personal success. If you can afford to carry the cost of keeping the doors open, offer the level of service you describe above and enjoy doing it, than it's a great idea. Actually earning a living, covering lease, utilities, advertisements, stocking firearms and paying employees, all while staying competitive implies a much bigger headache unless that's what you desire.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teufeldoc- An important question for you is- Are you interested in this being your full time (Second) career and make a living off it, run it as an interest/ hobby (Hobby sounds kind of petty, but I believe it's the correct term), or somewhere in between?

Commercial success is different than personal success. If you can afford to carry the cost of keeping the doors open, offer the level of service you describe above and enjoy doing it, than it's a great idea. Actually earning a living, covering lease, utilities, advertisements, stocking firearms and paying employees, all while staying competitive implies a much bigger headache unless that's what you desire.

I'm not looking to get rich at this, but I don't think my rich Uncle Sam is going to hook me up with enough retirement to take this on as a hobby. This will be a second career for me. You bring up very valid points that I have been thinking over and discussing with the wife. Headaches are coming I suppose..... but that is tolerable if you're doing what you enjoy.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another area to look at would be the N.E. corner of the state. There are very few gun shops around. Only one in Grove. Not heard of any in Miami or Vinita. One shop with range near Afton. That's about it. Nearest big box stores are Joplin where you have the issue of being out of state.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is something that needs to be considered heavily I think.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not looking to get rich at this, but I don't think my rich Uncle Sam is going to hook me up with enough retirement to take this on as a hobby. This will be a second career for me. You bring up very valid points that I have been thinking over and discussing with the wife. Headaches are coming I suppose..... but that is tolerable if you're doing what you enjoy.
I'll tell you a little secret of how a lot of the big shops got big. The owners were retired Military/LE or injured w/big settlement check or some other reason that they didn't have to depend on money from the business to live. They worked hard a put it all back into the business. Almost all of them have money from another source.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you should move back to oklahoma but come to northern oklahoma so that we can have a decent gun shop. Every single one that i have been in around ponca wants more than fair prices for used and new guns, ammo and accessories. You could make a killing in this area.

Teufeldoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is something that needs to be considered heavily I think.

Well and truly noted and I couldn't agree more. I have time to do my ground work for the business, since I have at least 2 more years on my current contract. I am in the fortunate position to be able to retire when I am ready to go. Hopefully on my terms and at the top of my game.

I'm not "shining on" the business side of this and between deployments am trying to get it all together so that the ground work for success is in place. I am all too aware that no plan survives first contact... and even well thought out and executed businesses fail in their early years. Got it. :)

I'm still willing to take a chance in order to follow my desire to have a successful gun store and do something that I really enjoy. I recognize the fact that I'll have to assault through a lousy economy, long hours, low initial take-home (if any) and all the sundry governmental restraints on making a business fly. But if I don't take the chance, then I have already failed.

Keep the input coming guys and a hat tip to Unsafe and ripnbst for keeping this in reality.

S/F
Terry

Latest posts

Top Bottom