How NOT to introduce women to the shooting sports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3fcc0533-dbf0-49f8-aacc-212372a8c09d-gif.1068755

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend break her thumb and need 12 stiches from firing a 3" mag Turkey load out of her H&R Trapper 12ga. The breakopen lever and hammer ate her thumb. There was a bucket of all kinds of shotshells and I asked "Why did you grab a big magnum?" there are lots of low brass dove loads in the bucket she said,
"I thought the big green one with the shiny big brass end was prettier than the dull red ones you told me to shoot" ........
DOH

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad loaded his 357 with 5 38s and 1 357. Had his sister shoot it. Now granted she was a stout girl so no harm, no foul, but boy did she drop it and run when that last one went off.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad loaded his 357 with 5 38s and 1 357. Had his sister shoot it. Now granted she was a stout girl so no harm, no foul, but boy did she drop it and run when that last one went off.
I did the same thing with my then girl friend, my dispatcher. She was grinning ear to ear when that 357 went boom in my 4 inch Model 13 I carried.
She's now my wife of 39 years

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the ranges I worked at in Washington, lost a private instructor to a magnum revolver in a woman's hands. He stood directly behind her with a hand on her shoulder to brace, and having been told to hang on for dear life......that's exactly what she did.
Recoil from the first shot swung the muzzle up over her shoulder, and enough momentary slack on trigger for a reset. The 2nd accidental shot caught him directly in the face.

A few years later at the same range....

While teaching my ex-wife to shoot, (9mm) she ran through a mag and had a stoppage. Setting down the pistol, we switched places while I cleared her stove-pipe. (Heh heh)

What happened was that her off-hand thumb tip caught the rear of the slide and caused a short stroke. It also took a good sized chunk out of her thumb, and she was unaware. I turned around to find blood EVERYwhere. Shirt, hands, face.....

Honestly, I panicked a little. I ripped her shirt and bra right off in front of about 30 strangers. She had amazing knockers, so it was a fairly exciting day for everyone there.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate seeing videos like that. The women will never pick up another firearm most likely.
I don't get it. Super dangerous for everyone around and IF they choose to continue, a fair bit of work involved just getting over the experience. Most of us that grew up with guns progressed from BBs to 22s to whatever. We didn't typically get handed a 44 python by someone with a camera phone to see if we like shooting, hopefully.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal experience:

I bought my first gun at 14 after moving lawns around the neighborhood for 7 months. It was a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06, and I weighed about 120lbs soaking wet when I got it.

That rifle thumped me, scope cut me (well, I scope cut myself due to poor positioning), and gave me a hell of a flinch. I was lucky to hold a group at 100 yards that was tighter than a soda can. Dad used to shake his head at me and comment negatively about my shooting ability. Taking that rifle shooting was not fun for me.

Joined the Marines. Determined that I'd re-learn how to shoot, and paid strict attention to my marksmanship instructor (PMI) on everything. Ended up tying for company high shooter out of about 450 recruits with the M16A2. Became a PMI myself about 4 years later and was fortunate to shoot a few higher-level matches over my career.

Still have that .30-06 with the original scope from my youth. It shot about 1.5 MOA with that exact same factory amo from 20 years prior, and has shot 1/2 MOA a couple times with a handload...a vast improvement over the shotgun patterns from my youth. That rifle was just too much for me when I was younger. That isn't the case for everyone, but it can be for the majority.

I take my experience and apply it to everyone I'm teaching to shoot. Getting someone to leave with a smile is 90% of the battle on promoting lifelong firearms ownership.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to inform someone of the recoil of a gun they are wanting to shoot just so they are warned of it now if they choose to continue that is on them but if im starting out with a new shooter i start small and work up til i see they are having troubles then i back off to a comfortable level and let them get more practice in before letting them move forward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom