How Should I Best Spend My CCW Dollars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technological Gimmick, hardly. Special ops guys going into deadly situations armed with lasers & night vision wouldn't call the technology a gimick. As I've heard several of the pros say in interviews, in a self defense situation you will probably never have a chance to look down those fancy night sights..as the situation will most likely happen so fast and so close that you will be firing from the hip or moving as you shoot and are being shot at... or are being rushed at by someone with a knife. That is where the laser technology beats out night sights hands-down. Moving and looking where you are going, while looking down those night sights and trying to focus your target all at the same time... versus just watching the target with a bright red dot on it while your weapon is still at the hip or chest level.

Jerry didn't just endorse lasers, he uses one on his own personal self defense weapon to protect his life and his family. Jerry wears glasses with bi-focals like the original OP and myself so there are eye sight issues with focusing on distance objects like the target [which is what the larger upper eyeglass lens does] vs. focusing on near objects like the night sights [which is what the lower smaller Bi-focal lens does.. and some people wear tri-focals with 3 lenses]... the switching back & forth between the lenses is distracting, especially if you are in a hurry defending your life. If the best shooter in the world feels that a laser on his self defense weapon is much better than night sights and trusts the technology... then it has got to give a advantage to less proficient shooters in low light situations.

Todd Jarrett who ranks up near Jerry as one of the best shooters in the world recommends laser sights in low light situations and uses a laser on his own personal self defense weapon. Julie Golob also uses a laser on her personal self defense weapon. They can afford any kind of weapon & sights they want.. and for their personal weapons they choose & trust laser technology because even as good as they are... it gives them an advantage. So I'll continue to trust the Pro's opinions and my own experience from practicing with lasers.

You keep mentioning people that already train to operate their equipment to a highly proficent degree without the aid of technology, then adding in technology is an added force multiplier. First you should learn to operate that equipment proficently. You keep missing my point and spouting off emotional responses instead of understanding what I am saying.

What's your training background just of curiosity? One of our training drills included making shots with our optics disabled and no backup sites in rifle class, in hand gun class we learned to index, and use snap site pictures across the top of the slide.

Your avatar funnily enough is appropriate.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Technological Gimmick, hardly. Special ops guys going into deadly situations armed with lasers & night vision wouldn't call the technology a gimick. As I've heard several of the pros say in interviews, in a self defense situation you will probably never have a chance to look down those fancy night sights..as the situation will most likely happen so fast and so close that you will be firing from the hip or moving as you shoot and are being shot at... or are being rushed at by someone with a knife. That is where the laser technology beats out night sights hands-down. Moving and looking where you are going, while looking down those night sights and trying to focus your target all at the same time... versus just watching the target with a bright red dot on it while your weapon is still at the hip or chest level.

Jerry didn't just endorse lasers, he uses one on his own personal self defense weapon to protect his life and his family. Jerry wears glasses with bi-focals like the original OP and myself so there are eye sight issues with focusing on distance objects like the target [which is what the larger upper eyeglass lens does] vs. focusing on near objects like the night sights [which is what the lower smaller Bi-focal lens does.. and some people wear tri-focals with 3 lenses]... the switching back & forth between the lenses is distracting, especially if you are in a hurry defending your life. If the best shooter in the world feels that a laser on his self defense weapon is much better than night sights and trusts the technology... then it has got to give a advantage to less proficient shooters in low light situations.

Todd Jarrett who ranks up near Jerry as one of the best shooters in the world recommends laser sights in low light situations and uses a laser on his own personal self defense weapon. Julie Golob also uses a laser on her personal self defense weapon. They can afford any kind of weapon & sights they want.. and for their personal weapons they choose & trust laser technology because even as good as they are... it gives them an advantage. So I'll continue to trust the Pro's opinions and my own experience from practicing with lasers.
you do realize those people get paid to endorse those products,todd jarrett is an employee of crimson trace

Latest posts

Top Bottom