How strong is Paracord

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paracord is typically manufactured in accordance with MIL-C-5040 specifications.

Per MIL-C-5040 Rev H, table II (physical requirements), the minimum breaking strength (lbs) is:
Type 1 - 95 lbs.
Type 1A - 100 lbs.
Type 2 - 400 lbs.
Type 2A - 225 lbs.
Type 3 - 550 lbs.
Type 4 - 750 lbs.

Check your tag to see if it tells you what type it is.
It should say M5040-XY. Where 'X' is the type, and 'Y' is the color.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part of the cord holding each end of the engine would be holding 1/2 of the weight... the small section of cord hanging on the hook was holding the combined weight of both the front and back of the engine. 550+.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, each leg of the looped paracord is only supporting 1/2 the engine load.
But also consider that the rope isn't perfectly vertical, and does have a horizontal component of the load.

A looped rope at a 45 deg angle will see an additional 40% increase of load due to the angle.
This isn't at 45 degrees, and the % increase drops off quickly.
I'd guess each leg see 1/2 the engine load * (25%)?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks to the folks that verified what I stated about load being shared by two strands.

testing to destruction needs to factor in strength reduction by bend used to terminate.
CMC Rope Rescue Manual lists figure 8 as 20% reduction in strength.

here's an excellent link to testing to destruction for several types of ropes and webbing.
http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/pull_tests_11_98.html

note the difference between breaking strength and working load. which can be very different.
then factor if rope is dynamic or static ...

my favorite termination knot for applications that will not be untied again is a triple fisherman.

triple fisherman termination knot on a split tail used by Arborist
[Broken External Image]

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its actually cut in half, using 8 pcs of string would not multiply the load by 8. The engine did not get twice as heavy because he used two strands.

I'd be incredibly surprised if this info was publicly available. Disclosing the safety factor used would kind of encourage people to take it to the limit since the limit was known which would then kind of negate the safety factor.

I suspect this information should be available in the Military Standard. I doubt most people are unaware that it is 550 pound test cord (TY3). Or that it has a MILSTD.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy paracord and is all of it as good or better than mil spec? What does a guy look for in quality ?

Order off internet or Surplus Store. No, there are non-spec versions available. Look for Glidden manufactured MIL-C-5040 TY3 for 550 pound test cord. It should have about 7 small braided nylon strands inside the colored sheath. The junk has some fuzzy cord inside. However, the junk is good for things like dummy-cording.

This is informative with links:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/693904-MIL-C-5040H-Type-III

Latest posts

Top Bottom