I reminded myself today why I quit being an automotive mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Screen-Shot-2020-03-04-at-9.54.47-AM.png

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I'm most impressed with the fact that after all of that, you actually took the time to put your tools up. I would have just thrown them in the garage so they wouldn't get stolen, gone inside and had a beer (or 16). Not to mention completely ignoring trying to find the tools that I had thrown in fits of anger.

I "like" working on cars (which is why I have 2 old project vehicles), but I can't imagine doing it for a living. My blood pressure couldn't handle it.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit being a mechanic 20 years ago; no way I could make a living at it now.
I tried changing ball joints on my 2000 Sierra a couple of years ago, thought I'd save a few hundred bucks.
I was so frustrated I was ready to cry at one point, I would gladly have paid to have it done if I'd known it was going to be that hard.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shade tree mechanics have had their habitats razed and are all but extinct. New cars are so full of sensors to monitor how often we fart and what changes to the engine it should make to compensate that any number of things can cause engine issues. However, if you want to learn more about how modern cars work, how to troubleshoot them, and what tools you need, check out South Main Auto on youtube. Eric O is a wizard at troubleshooting modern cars. Plus, he's a family owned business, is pro-2A (in several videos at his home he is carrying, even uses a 9mm and shotgun to "wipe" the hard drives of two old shop pc's), and keeps his channel family friendly but still sneaks in plenty of adult humor. Him and his wife daily ribbing of each other is better than any sitcom, and you can tell its done out of love.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shade tree mechanics have had their habitats razed and are all but extinct. New cars are so full of sensors to monitor how often we fart and what changes to the engine it should make to compensate that any number of things can cause engine issues. However, if you want to learn more about how modern cars work, how to troubleshoot them, and what tools you need, check out South Main Auto on youtube. Eric O is a wizard at troubleshooting modern cars. Plus, he's a family owned business, is pro-2A (in several videos at his home he is carrying, even uses a 9mm and shotgun to "wipe" the hard drives of two old shop pc's), and keeps his channel family friendly but still sneaks in plenty of adult humor. Him and his wife daily ribbing of each other is better than any sitcom, and you can tell its done out of love.
I've been a subscriber to Eric's channel for over a year. He lives in upstate New York in a small town. His dad was a mechanic and he used to work for him. I'd certainly buy him lunch for a week just to pick his brain.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I'm most impressed with the fact that after all of that, you actually took the time to put your tools up. I would have just thrown them in the garage so they wouldn't get stolen, gone inside and had a beer (or 16). Not to mention completely ignoring trying to find the tools that I had thrown in fits of anger.

I "like" working on cars (which is why I have 2 old project vehicles), but I can't imagine doing it for a living. My blood pressure couldn't handle it.
I'm just glad you enjoyed it. It took me about an hour just to write it. Sorry it was so long but I just had to put in humor when there wasn't any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom