How to catch an armadillo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend has at least one and maybe more armadillos that come out at night and dig around in her yard, we are pretty sure they are going underneath a shed to go down into holes where they stay during the day, I shot one about 2 weeks ago but need to eliminate the others, I’m hoping some of you good folks here could give me some ideas on how to trap or lure them out ?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
use a live trap so if you catch your neighbor's cat or dog you can let it go. Use canned cat food or fresh fruit to bait for an armadillo. once caught you can relocate or take him swimming in a trash can big enough for the trap filled with water. Amazon, Tractor Supply, most farm stores will have the traps

https://a.co/d/4kB6Hl7

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have walked up to them with a lantern while they were digging and set the lantern down gently about 8 feet away and walk behind the thing and snatch it by the tail and swing it over your head fast and hard and pound it's neck into the ground.
Dead on the spot.

You can also chase them down and tackle them if you are so bold or agile.
It has been about 8 years since I caught one by chasing it.
3 years ago I took off after one and it smoked me.
That is when I knew I was getting too old, too fat and too slow.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've caught several in live traps with no bait. I just put it next to a building or fence . It's just luck one goes in it. But they tend to walk down the sides of structures.

If you insist on trapping them, this is the way to do it. You can also use a long 2x8 or larger board and angle it away from the house or structure so it funnels them into the trap. I have never had luck baiting a trap for armadillos.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
On two separate occasions I have had armadillos bump into me while sitting against a tree squirrel hunting. I bet if you threw on some brown pants, a camo shirt, and sit down with your back on a tree in your yard they'll come run into your leg without knowing you're there. Then you just gotta tackle 'em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom