How to catch an armadillo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine's 6yr old granddaughter walked into the kitchen holding one by the tail and asked if she could keep it for a pet.
Her mom needed therapy after the initial shock of what the kid did.
Hunting buddy in Arkansas was crawling around in a brush pile trying to catch one when I asked him if he knew why Armadillos have armor plate, he said, " never thought about it" ,
I said....
" rattlesnakes"
His exit from inside the brush pile was funny as hell

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little change of subject. This about catching another yard pest. Gophers!

I have been using the traps pictured and often times the critters would just bury the traps without getting caught. I started putting a dab of peanut butter on the metal flag they need to hit to activate and the results have been much improved. Caught five in the past few weeks.
Thanks. I’ve been getting the same no catch results. I’ll try the peanut butter

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My girlfriend has at least one and maybe more armadillos that come out at night and dig around in her yard, we are pretty sure they are going underneath a shed to go down into holes where they stay during the day, I shot one about 2 weeks ago but need to eliminate the others, I’m hoping some of you good folks here could give me some ideas on how to trap or lure them out ?
I have heard armadillos can carry LEPROSY? I don't know if that is true or not, handle with care. I retired from Sun Refinery in Tulsa. We had a problem with skunks in the tank farm, and hired a contractor to live trap them. An oil company can't kill anything without making tyhe world s wide news! This contractor told me that 80% of the skunks in Oklahoma carry, and could spread rabies, and that we had a state law that required, all skunks trapped had to be killed. I found that scary!!

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little change of subject. This about catching another yard pest. Gophers!

I have been using the traps pictured and often times the critters would just bury the traps without getting caught. I started putting a dab of peanut butter on the metal flag they need to hit to activate and the results have been much improved. Caught five in the past few weeks.
Short piece of rope or small chain with a stake to restrict them from pulling the trap down the hole. Then just pull the rope out and walla out comes the varmint.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No point in hunting, trapping or otherwise relocating them. Its like trying to bail water out of a river, more just keeps coming in.

Use a pesticide to address the grubs in your yard.
Eliminate the food source and the tactical possums will move on.
She has 100 acres and runs a cow/calf operation, pesticides are not really an option, gotta stick with .22 pills, I just gotta lure the little bas$/@s out !!

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No point in hunting, trapping or otherwise relocating them. Its like trying to bail water out of a river, more just keeps coming in.

Use a pesticide to address the grubs in your yard.
Eliminate the food source and the tactical possums will move on.
The sound that a suppressed subsonic bullet makes when you hit a ‘dillo is way more satisfying than just putting poison in the ground.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you insist on trapping them, this is the way to do it. You can also use a long 2x8 or larger board and angle it away from the house or structure so it funnels them into the trap. I have never had luck baiting a trap for armadillos.
This the best way. When I have one under our deck, use 2, 1x8 boards to funneled him to live trap. NO bait. Anchor trap with Rebar steaks Cause they really thrash around

Latest posts

Top Bottom