How was deer season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterken

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well now that deer season was over. How do you think your season went? Number killed and number seen? Are they above what you thought? Did something awesome happen this season?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my freezer is full and i didn't work very hard to get it that way. i went twice during muzzle loader and killed two deer. went four times during gun killed three deer and the fourth time i didn't shoot ,was helping Danb get his first deer. oh he got two bout ten minutes apart so i would say it was good

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My season sucked because of the damage caused by last February's ice storm. I have a blind that I can't get to without the help of a Bobcat or dozer. The ice storm totally change the travel of the deer plus I could not hunt 3/4 of the 20 acres. It's better than nothing. I will hire someone to come and push out some paths through the property next month.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My season wasn't what I hoped for. I got shut out. Coulda shot several deer from mid-October through late November but I passed on them. I'm a trophy hunter more than a meat hunter so I'm more disappointed that I didn't get the big one. I hunted a monster 8 point from the first week of November until Christmas and never got him. I saw him several times, and twice even during rifle season and he was always either just off my property line or he would wait until right at dark to come over to my place.

Oh well, I had fun in the woods, learned a few lessons, and maybe the deer I didn't get will be better trophies next year.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got meat but no trophies. Had a lat of fun and did see a monster buck. Had him in my sights but couldn't get the crosshairs to stop moving enough to take the shot. My dad came from out of state and went hunting with me and helped process the deer so it was especially good this year.

kh496f

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my first deer this year... Hunted at black kettle during gun season using a black powder gun lol. Nice mature doe.

Gonna be looking for a lease this year.. Black kettle has tons of deer but it just gets way too crowded out there.. I'd really like to learn more about the natural critters oklahoma has and what better way to do so than on land I'm leasing.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This was my second deer season. I didn't get to go out as often as I would have liked because I was working so much, but the few times I did go out I blanked. I got drawn for the Lexington WMA Rifle hunt in November, but didn't see a thing. The closest I got was New Years Eve on my aunt's property in Mayes county. I was in a ground blind and had two mature does approaching. As I started to draw my bow back, I accidently touched the trigger on my wrist guard and prematurely fired the arrow through the blind into the ground outside. The next morning, a small doe and older fawn jumped the fence about 20 yards in front of my blind. I didn't see them approaching because they approached from behind an evergreen, so I kind of rushed my draw. Again, I hit the trigger as I was drawing back and prematurely shot the arrow through my blind into the ground. Talk about embarassing!

These were my first experiences actually trying to draw the bow inside the blind and I learned that drawing in confined spaces is NOT the same as practice shooting in an open field.

Always next year, right?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
took a nice 116 lb. doe on openeing eve of BP. passed on many after that. i was horn huntin from then on. nothing came out that was worthy of bragging rights. my son saw some of the biggest deer ever from about 400 yrds. he had 6 150 inch deer chasing does at the far end of a quarter section. next year we'll know how to get em!

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
I'd say it was an average season. One buck and five does. The buck was a 120'' ten point that I shot during muzzleloading season. Probably the most perfect rack on any deer I have shot, just not as big. Saw quite a few other bucks in the same range, but was holding out for something bigger, but never saw it. Lots of quality meat in the freezer. I bought a new crossbow and killed 3 does with it. I am looking forward to hunting with it next year. I can hunt stands and blinds I could never hunt with the compound.

Latest posts

Top Bottom