How's everybody's garden doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife cuts it up and puts it in freezer bags. We cook with it all year. Ever had spaghetti sauce with diced eggplant and diced yellow squash or zucchini? Had some last night...nom nom. We have 2 upright freezers, one is dedicated to meat and the other will be chalk full of veggies from the garden by fall.
Go hit the local farmers market for good deals on squash t freeze up for the winter. They have one at OSU in OKC over on 10th and portland every Sat. morning I think...till noon.

I've never cared for frozen squash ... the texture puts me off ... Maybe because of the way my mom used to serve it ... bleech ...

I've never tried it in spaghetti sauce ... I'll have freeze a little bit and then to do that ... It sounds better than the squash I ate when I was a kid ...

Oh and I LOVE that Farmer's Market ... They are open on Wednesdays, too, during the summer ... IIRC ...We usually hit them up on Saturdays ...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never cared for frozen squash ... the texture puts me off

I've been wanting to try dehydrating some ...
Now I dont know about anyone else but if you have texture issues with squash but you want to dehydrate some??
I aint so sure I understand all I know about that.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I dont know about anyone else but if you have texture issues with squash but you want to dehydrate some??
I aint so sure I understand all I know about that.

Cause I'm not opposed to trying new things??? :scratch: And because I like the dried chips that come out of my dehydrator. Zucchini, carrots, beets, kale, apple, pineapple, orange, blueberries, tomatoes, potatoes, beef, rabbit, chicken ... you name it ... I'll give it a whirl in the dehydrator ... just to see how it turns out ... Most of it is much yummier than canned or frozen versions of the same thing to me ...

Only thing I haven't tried to dehydate is eggs ... and fish ... I've seen videos and read articles about how it's done ... I'm just not sure ... :lookaroun

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you freeze it and put it in a casserole or sauce, you won't know the difference from fresh. The larger ones need peeled or the skin gets tough.

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well is you freeze it and put it in a casserole or sauce, you won't know the difference from fresh. The larger ones need peeled or the skin gets tough.

OK ... that doesn't sound so bad. My mom just boiled all the taste out of it in water, threw in a little margarine (which I HATE the taste of) and a lot of salt and called it good ... Imagine my surprise the first time I ... :lookaroun ... ahhhhh ... errrr ... :teehee: ... well ... let's just say there are things out there that match that nasty mess ... in taste ... and in texture ... :lookaroun

:rotflmao:

ETA: Opps ... sorry ... I clicked on "edit" instead of "quote" ... :lmfao:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... that doesn't sound so bad. My mom just boiled all the taste out of it in water, threw in a little margarine (which I HATE the taste of) and a lot of salt and called it good

Just add some onion, tomatoes and some of that dired up soy sauce powder you got, and youre good to go!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut a squash length ways into 1/4" thick slices.
Get a bowl of olive oil and add to it, plenty of Cavendars greek seasoning, Garlic powder, salt and pepper, Brush the squash with this mixture and toss it on the grill over medium heat. Turn it when it gets some good grill marks on it and brush with remaining mixture. Cook to taste (the longer you grill it, the softer it gets)
Report back.
This is awesome with whole okra, a whole onion (cut to flower open), zucchini, Green tomatoes...etc.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a bowl of olive oil and add to it, plenty of Cavendars greek seasoning, Garlic powder, salt and pepper, Brush the squash with this mixture and toss it on the grill over medium heat. Turn it when it gets some good grill marks on it and brush with remaining mixture. Cook to taste (the longer you grill it, the softer it gets)
Report back.
This is awesome with whole okra, a whole onion (cut to flower open), zucchini, Green tomatoes...etc.

Hmmmm ... brb ... gotta go to the grocery store!

And this isn't exactly a gardening thing ... except the bunnies provide PLENTY of compost for the garden ... but Ima fixin to have some grilled bunny next weekend ... Maybe I should do some grilled squash and okra to go with it! :anyone:

Thanks for the tip, CHenry!! :heart: I think I might try growing some squash next year now ... I can hardly wait for this fall ... I've seen this tip on a lot of vegetarian/vegan websites for cabbage "steaks" ...

Slice cabbage like you would an onion, into slices about 1 1/2 inches thick. Season like you would a steak ... salt, pepper, montreal seasoning ... whatever you want to put on it ... and grill until cabbage is cooked to your liking ... some like it with a little crunch left, some like it softer ... turn and cook until grill marks are to your liking ... Some folks have served it with steak sauce ... :scratch: Not my idea of tasty ... some serve it with olive oil/vinegar/basil dressing ... More to my liking ...

Anyway, I'm wanting to try this one out, too ... I "NEED" to get me a propane grill so I don't always have to fool with lighting charcoal ...

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Report back.

Dont forget asparagus. Its like vegetarian candy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom