Hunting/fishing clubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any Hunting & Fishing clubs in Oklahoma for kids. I do have an 8 yr old and 5 year old.

Or better yet, if there is a family club that all of us could join.

Thanks,

:goodmorning:

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked them out...Not quite what I had in mind.

I guess what I am really looking for is an organization/club that takes the kids and works with and teaches them about fishing and hunting, leaning more on the fishing side at this time. Also maybe a few weekends during the year to take them to a few tournaments. Is there such a place that does this.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if this is anything you are looking for, but it was in the Weekly Wildlife Newsletter...

Free family fishing clinics slated throughout summer
Free fishing clinics offered by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation’s Aquatic Resource Education Program are being held throughout the summer to teach families about the sport of fishing. And now is a great time to learn, as the month of June offers prime opportunities to catch spawning sunfish along banks of local waters.
Through the program, kids and adults can choose from one-day courses held near urban areas of the state to learn about fish identification, fishing tackle selection, knot-tying, fish cleaning and cooking, water safety, outdoor ethics and more. Most clinics even include fishing opportunities where families can put to immediate use the lessons they learned from their instructor.
According to Damon Springer, aquatic education coordinator for the Wildlife Department, the free clinics will benefit families trying to learn about the sport as well as those looking for easy and affordable opportunities to spend time with family.
“The family fishing clinics are a great opportunity for families to have an activity they can all do together,” Springer said.
The Aquatic Resource Education Program will hold classes throughout the summer, many of which will be held at the Wildlife Department’s Arcadia Conservation Education Area in Edmond or the Zebco Pond in Tulsa. Others will be held at local ponds in Oklahoma City and in Jenks. A full course listing is available on the Wildlife Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com. Pre-registration for each course is required and can be done by calling the phone number listed with each course.
For more information about the Aquatic Resources Education Program, log on to the Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com.

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if this is anything you are looking for, but it was in the Weekly Wildlife Newsletter...

Free family fishing clinics slated throughout summer
Free fishing clinics offered by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation’s Aquatic Resource Education Program are being held throughout the summer to teach families about the sport of fishing. And now is a great time to learn, as the month of June offers prime opportunities to catch spawning sunfish along banks of local waters.
Through the program, kids and adults can choose from one-day courses held near urban areas of the state to learn about fish identification, fishing tackle selection, knot-tying, fish cleaning and cooking, water safety, outdoor ethics and more. Most clinics even include fishing opportunities where families can put to immediate use the lessons they learned from their instructor.
According to Damon Springer, aquatic education coordinator for the Wildlife Department, the free clinics will benefit families trying to learn about the sport as well as those looking for easy and affordable opportunities to spend time with family.
“The family fishing clinics are a great opportunity for families to have an activity they can all do together,” Springer said.
The Aquatic Resource Education Program will hold classes throughout the summer, many of which will be held at the Wildlife Department’s Arcadia Conservation Education Area in Edmond or the Zebco Pond in Tulsa. Others will be held at local ponds in Oklahoma City and in Jenks. A full course listing is available on the Wildlife Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com. Pre-registration for each course is required and can be done by calling the phone number listed with each course.
For more information about the Aquatic Resources Education Program, log on to the Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com.

I did actually see this, and was not able to go due to t-ball tourneys, but since we are done with t-ball (for a while), I will need to look into again. Thanks!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
rhenry2424 - Call Bob Martin at the H B Parsons Fish Hatchery 755-4014 for more information about the fishing clinics.

Atta boy Roosta 7 great info.

Regarding the hunting side. There is an organization that takes children hunting and trains them to hunt. It is the Okla Youth Hunting and Shooting Program. It is based in Stillwater. We select several children each year and take them on their first deer hunt and one of their parents accompany the child on the hunt and experiences the hunt with the son or daughter. Landowners supply the land and lodging normally for a 2 day hunt. WE have a couple of sites in SE Okla and other areas in Western Okla. The two sites in SE Okla are near Antlers Okla. Saturday night both sites join for dinner, a campfire ceremony that is very moving for the children and the adults. Several parents have wept during the ceremony because of their experiences with their children. We are always looking for donors be it for hunt sites or financial donations to help expand the program. I have been a host and advisor of this organization for a couple of years now. It has been VERY rewarding personally to see how these children evolve into hunters in a couple of days in the field. We have plenty of food, fellowship and guidance for these young hunters. Hunter success rates on the deer hunt normally run 75% to 100%. The Spring turkey hunts are about the same. If you want more info shoot me a PM.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
rhenry2424 - Call Bob Martin at the H B Parsons Fish Hatchery 755-4014 for more information about the fishing clinics.

Atta boy Roosta 7 great info.

Regarding the hunting side. There is an organization that takes children hunting and trains them to hunt. It is the Okla Youth Hunting and Shooting Program. It is based in Stillwater. We select several children each year and take them on their first deer hunt and one of their parents accompany the child on the hunt and experiences the hunt with the son or daughter. Landowners supply the land and lodging normally for a 2 day hunt. WE have a couple of sites in SE Okla and other areas in Western Okla. The two sites in SE Okla are near Antlers Okla. Saturday night both sites join for dinner, a campfire ceremony that is very moving for the children and the adults. Several parents have wept during the ceremony because of their experiences with their children. We are always looking for donors be it for hunt sites or financial donations to help expand the program. I have been a host and advisor of this organization for a couple of years now. It has been VERY rewarding personally to see how these children evolve into hunters in a couple of days in the field. We have plenty of food, fellowship and guidance for these young hunters. Hunter success rates on the deer hunt normally run 75% to 100%. The Spring turkey hunts are about the same. If you want more info shoot me a PM.

Congrats on being involved in getting youth into hunting.

I Hunt on a guy that has lots of clients, and he sponsors youth hunts every year for gun season. We take a parent and the youngster to a box blind and let them take their first deer which is a doe. Most have never hunted before. While in the blind I have a small toy deer where we discuss shot placement and so on. The kids have really been good about listening and getting a good shot.
We really need to recuit new hunters, and from what I've been reading, women are really catching on to the sport.:yelclap:
The new crossbow regs will surely help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom