I bought an Eotech today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot of people on here don't think too highly of them, but every time I go look at the options out there, I always come back to them. They are a lot more expensive than a cheapy red dot but they have some significant advantages over those, IMO. I know the Aimpoint is great too, but I just get a bit of tunnel vision with those compared to the Eotech. I'm sure that's just me and not the device. It just seems more like looking through a scope. The Eotech seems more like the dot is just floating.

I ended up going with the XPS3-0. I bought a 5X magnifier to go with it. I think that will be nice for anything over 100 meters.

I must say, I almost pulled the trigger on a $1500 ACOG. Dang that was nice. No batteries. The little built in 1X red dot sight above the scope was a nice feature, too. For about half price of that though, I think I ended up with, functionally, something that will be close to that.

Enoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the new optic! Don't worry about what anyone else says, it is your money, get what works best for YOU. That XPS3 is a sweet little sight.

Benelli

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you will be happy. I bought a used M&P-15 and an Eotech 512 came with it. About 4-6 months later I noticed that reticle was dimmer than I remembered. To make a long story short I emailed them and they told me to send it back to the factory. A few days later I received what appeared to be a brand new sight in the mail. Either way, the sight they sent me works great. They did not ask if I was the original purchaser or anything. All that mattered to them was that it was their product and it wasn't working properly. I would buy another sight from them in a heartbeat.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
good choice on the eotech, those are my favorites of all the red dots. a marine buddy of mine swears by the acog, but like you said, it's like looking through a scope. i prefer the two eyes open with the circle/dot floating over the target. hope you like it and hope to see some targets when you break it in

CWLFTMFW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DocJJ,

Great choice with the EOTech. I've owned two (upgraded, no failure) and love them. They are my optic of choice for non-magnified glass. How do you like the 5x? Did you order the EOTech magnifier or did you use another brand? Again, great choice!

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with my EOTech. I don't have any Aimpoint experience but I definitely like the reticule and design of the EOTech, and the battery stuff isn't a big deal to me. (as a software developer, I rarely find myself in multi-day gunfights, and a rifle is very impractical for defense where I live)

I've settled on a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticule for distance, but I really like my EOTech inside of 50 or so yards. (eotech mostly stays on a Colt AR, the Leupold on a Sig 556 Classic, both in highly recommended Larue mounts)

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up like new 511 for my AR, I haven't shot with it yet, but I think I'm gonna like it...thinkin about gettin a 3x magnifier for it.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a 512 on my ar and like it alot. farthest ive shot with it is at 100yds so far but i can hold center mass groups easily firing quickly. The best i have done was a 20 shot group right at 4" last time i shot it. definately want to get a magnifier and hit a 300yd range some time.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 512 before and liked it. I now have an Eotech 516 along with a Larue BUIS, haven't got a chance to shoot it, but I really like the setup just mounted on the gun so far.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't even had a chance to mount it or the magnifier on the gun yet. I went with a Mako on the magnifier. Much cheaper than an Eotech magnifier. Probably not the greatest, but if I were going to spend in excess of $1000 for the Eotech holo and the magnifier, I would have just gone with the ACOG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom