I bought an Eotech today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the XPS to come out and I was thinking about going with the a mako magnifier as well. What magnification did you get? After you get everything set up....let us know how you like it.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the XPS to come out and I was thinking about going with the a mako magnifier as well. What magnification did you get? After you get everything set up....let us know how you like it.

I went with the 5X.

I have ZERO experience with these. Any suggestions on where to mount everything? I was thinking of putting the magnifier on in a comfortable position and then the Eotech just ahead of that.

Also, anyone have experience with the raised flip away LaRue sights? I was thinking about going with a raised base on the Eotech and a raised flip away on the magnifier. They I could still have a rear BIUS and cowitness through the bottom of the Eotech.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have zero experiance as well. However, someone at Banner Road let me use their rifle with the Eotech setup. He had his magnifier just infront of his BUIS and his Eotech 511 right infront of the magnifier. If I were you, I would try a few different set ups and just go with whatever is comfortable to you...everyone is going to be a litte different. I've read reviews on the mako magnifiers and some people say they're not truely the magnification they advertise, for example the 5x is really closer to a 3x. Does your magnifier have this problem?

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Eotech 516 on my AR. It has the built in riser and buttons on the side. I like the sight have no real complaints as I haven't really put it through its paces yet.

One complaint I have heard about them that makes sense to me is the auto shutoff feature. punch the up or down for 4 or 8 hours of run time. Long classes can give you perfect opportunities to switch to your Irons when the optic turns off right before the need to fire.

I can turn pretty accurate groups with my Eotech with steady shots. It is no precision crosshair scope. on a 16" barreled carbine why have more. If I need the precise shot I can hold a solid cheek weld and use the irons to punch precise groups at range.

If I ever change up optics I'm going Aimpoint.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read reviews on the mako magnifiers and some people say they're not truely the magnification they advertise, for example the 5x is really closer to a 3x. Does your magnifier have this problem?

I have no idea. I wouldn't really even know how to check, except see how it magnifies next to my Leupold set on 5.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice, and use the heck out of it.

I'm using the 557 with the 3X magnifier on a QD flip mount.

For targets at distance (beyond about 150m) the magnifier is nice to have.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the EOtech 512 on my Sig 556. I am very satisfied with this setup shooting less than 100 yards. My only complaint is that I can't co-witness with the Sig's BUIS.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a little problem with the co-witness thing. If you're co-witnessing the sights, why have a red dot type in the first place? You're still taking the time to line up the sights. To me the red dots are supposed to replace the iron sights till the batteries die. Red dots are supposed to be for fast acquisition and short distance CQB type stuff.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little problem with the co-witness thing. If you're co-witnessing the sights, why have a red dot type in the first place? You're still taking the time to line up the sights. To me the red dots are supposed to replace the iron sights till the batteries die. Red dots are supposed to be for fast acquisition and short distance CQB type stuff.

Maybe I'm stupid, by I always thought the purpose of the cowitness was in case your battery went dead, then you could still shoot with the BUIS without having to remove your red dot and lose your zero. Or in case the SHTF and you forgot to turn your red dot on or was turned off somehow or automatically shut down, then you could go ahead and use the BUIS without having to take the red dot off the weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom