I bought an Eotech today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm stupid, by I always thought the purpose of the cowitness was in case your battery went dead, then you could still shoot with the BUIS without having to remove your red dot and lose your zero. Or in case the SHTF and you forgot to turn your red dot on or was turned off somehow or automatically shut down, then you could go ahead and use the BUIS without having to take the red dot off the weapon.

I could see that if you lost your scope. Everytime I look through the scope, I keep looking at the front sight and start trying to align the scope dot with the front sight and it throws me off. (I have a flip up rear sight). I may have to train myself to look through it differently.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little problem with the co-witness thing. If you're co-witnessing the sights, why have a red dot type in the first place? You're still taking the time to line up the sights. To me the red dots are supposed to replace the iron sights till the batteries die. Red dots are supposed to be for fast acquisition and short distance CQB type stuff.

You don't have to line up the sights with a cowitnessed red dot, you just look for the dot. It's not like the dot is only visible when you are looking through the iron sights.

Dots are way faster than irons because you don't have to get you head in the right place to use them or line up irons.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could see that if you lost your scope. Everytime I look through the scope, I keep looking at the front sight and start trying to align the scope dot with the front sight and it throws me off. (I have a flip up rear sight). I may have to train myself to look through it differently.

I'd either run a fixed rear sight or change the front to a flip up, probably the latter if I were you.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firecop,

I have an Aimpoint and the front sight is clearly visible. But for some unknown reason I never see it when shooting. Maybe the tube being a little bigger than the EoTech? :anyone:

Now when I shoot left hand I have a hell of a time finding the dot, but that's a whole 'nuther story (my lack of practice). Someone at the practical match told me to just shoot both eyes open and "trust the dot". Damned if it doesn't work.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There are raised mounts available, so that the iron sights can be up and ready all the time and only been seen in the lower 1/3 of the Eotech. That is actually the type I was looking into getting with a folding BUIS and a flip mount for my magnifier. Then I have the best of all worlds.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firecop,

I have an Aimpoint and the front sight is clearly visible. But for some unknown reason I never see it when shooting. Maybe the tube being a little bigger than the EoTech? :anyone:

Now when I shoot left hand I have a hell of a time finding the dot, but that's a whole 'nuther story (my lack of practice). Someone at the practical match told me to just shoot both eyes open and "trust the dot". Damned if it doesn't work.

Both eyes open is the way to go with an Eotech for sure. I can tell that already.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had both the EoTec 552 and the Aim-Point. I like them both. I use flip up front and rear sights on my AR but in the Marines we had a fixed front sight. All you have to do is shoot with both eyes open and focus on your target and that peskey front sight post will not even be noticable. Also do not try to zero your irons so that they line up with the dot...........it does not work. Waste of time. I zero my irons with the EoTec 552 on the rifle but turned off. I then flip down my irons and zero my EoTec like that. With just the EoTec 552 this set up is very good to 250-300 yards when shooting at man sized targets. You will not get great shot placement but you will get hits. They are ugly but they are tough and work great. I had mine in Iraq and it survived the work-up training the deployment and it is still running strong. It is dented and scratched but it turns on every time and holds the zero through just about everything. You have made a good choice.

PYPLYNR

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My older brother is in Naval Special Warfare and he swears by the Eotech. If it's good enough for him to use, I'll use it anyday. That's why I got one

Latest posts

Top Bottom