I just had LASIK done!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm between -10.5 and -11.0 on my contact prescription and even with thick corneas I'm told I'm not really a candidate because of my high prescription. I'm a prime candidate for an implantable lens, which sounds pretty good on paper, but very expensive :( Anybody had any experience with that? Because of the cost and ease of LASIK I've yet to find much firsthand info on the ICLs.

ICL's are a miracle, but get a good doctor. It takes away some night vision and sunglasses become necessary in the bright sunlight. Measurements to get the right correction are critical. I would say it makes you a better marksman. From the prices quoted here on lasik, it isn't much more.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it done back in 2005 in Arlington, TX. At first I thought I made a huge mistake because we went to eat at Burger King right after and I could not see much. I pointed to a big fuzzy poster and ordered whatever that was. I then went home and took a 3 hour nap and when I woke up I turned and looked at the clock on the vcr. I could not believe it but I could see it perfect. I had the HD done and my sight is 20/15. The best gift you can give yourself is the gift of sight.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
257wby,

You went to the right place. I had mine done (Custom) at TLC about 20 months ago. Best 4K I have ever spent. Both eyes now test 20/15 on 5 out of 5 and 20/10 on 3 out of 5. No problems with night vision or halo's or anything.

I used the moisture drops for about 6-8 weeks after a few times a day. Make sure you do you 1 day, 1 month, 6 month and 1 year then annual eye doctor visits.

Dr. Jones at TLC advised he has only had to do a handfull of tuchups because the system they use is so good. I call it a miracle of science.

Having great vision makes me protect them even more. So now I wear safety glasses more than I ever did previously working around the yard / garage and always on the range.

centraloklahoma

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had it done in 1999 at TLC about 4k back then too. Some of the best money I ever spent. Amazing trees had leaves and I could wake up and see the alarm clock across the room. Bummer was the first eye did not get anesthetized enough and I could feel the little blade go all the way across my cornea. It didn't really hurt but was very disconcerting. I had heard they would stop and not do the second eye if there was a problem so bit my lip and stayed as still as I could until it was done. Second eye didn't feel a thing. Black hum clicks done.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sister had hers done, and loves it. But I have learned from her, dont shop around for the cheapest, just go to the best. She had hers done for cheap first, then had to go to TLC to get em done right. Thankfully they were able to correct the issues.

After reading this, and talking to her, I am about talked into it.

okmods

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine done in January, 2011 at TLC as well for $4000. Did the "pay with credit card for points, then get a Flexible Spending Account reimbursement to pay it off the rest of the year pre-tax" plan. That was the most expensive option they had, but the most precise according to their descriptions. A laser cuts the flap, not a person with a scalpel, and it the machine follows the micro-movement of the eye to keep the cuts precise.
They do offer you a Valium beforehand, so you're not caring to much about what's happening. Zero pain for me, but it is uncomfortable when they place a ring on your eye to hold it still. Drops are put in just before that to immobilize your eye muscles, so you're not fighting it at all.
The brief smell of burning flesh and a loud tapping sound as the corrections are made are the only indications it's happening. No physical sensation at all. It's all computer controlled, and a couple of minutes later you get up and walk over to get an inspection before being sent on your way.
I had some light blooming at night, but that went away in the following weeks as my eyes healed.
Ended up with 20/15 vision. At my annual eye exams my doctor tells my my eyes could not be any better.
I'd definitely do it again!

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vision is continuing to get better! I had another checkup today which would be 5 days out. I am now seeing 20/20 in both eyes. My doc said my vision will continue to improve over the next week and will stabilize in a couple months. Once again, if any of you guys or gals have been considering it and are candidates, DO IT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom