I miss the check stations...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hated the check stations and the concept in general. They were a cesspool of idiots who shot their forkie and then hung around the chains talkin about the booner they missed. The crowd was redneck , think nascar in camo. The worst was the nescatunga one. The whole concept made liars and thieves out of honest hunters who retrieved their game late on a Sunday night and burnt $10 and two hours looking for an open stations to no avail. These deer never got checked in.

Best was the ones where they handed the book over on honor system. I remember seeing the redneck mafia kids checking in 140# field dressed doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it depended on the individual check station(s). Fortunately, I never ran into this. No, I couldn't have tolerated that.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I grew up in Alabama and Georgia where rifle season was 2+ months long and you could shoot 2 deer a day all season, with family that owned land. We moved here and I had to figure out bow hunting and public land. Talk about a rough learning experience.

a true hunter finds a way. these guys say they don't hunt because they have no place to hunt is bs. I have good private ground to hunt and I still hunt public land sometimes because some it is really good

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You also had "those guys who claimed that the rut was over second week of bow season, that the odw was releasing lions, and the guys who wanted to know where every kill was made". It was pretty much the ok hunting and fishing Facebook page before the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a true hunter finds a way. these guys say they don't hunt because they have no place to hunt is bs. I have good private ground to hunt and I still hunt public land sometimes because some it is really good
Yep. I've hunted public land since, but add a 15 year old whose dad didn't hunt, I gave it up for a few years while I sowed my oats.

Lol Justin, I can imagine that all too well being a frequent visitor of that page.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with op. I miss the check stations. Down where we hunt reliable 3G signal is hard to find and 4G is nowhere to be found. Plus checking in a deer on an iPhone is a pain in the ass.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with op. I miss the check stations. Down where we hunt reliable 3G signal is hard to find and 4G is nowhere to be found. Plus checking in a deer on an iPhone is a pain in the ass.
There is a new check in app, and I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity while checking in my daughter's.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really miss them as well. I think it takes away from the brotherhood of hunters. I will always remember going up and looking at the deer checked in, especially during rifle season. Trading stories, drinkin cold beer, those were the days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom