I need an EDC fixed-blade knife!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its driving me crazy to be without one - I've almost never been without one before about 6-months ago when I sold most of them to fund some optics for an AR (and a subsequent AR).

I really want a BUSSE Game Warden (as I've previously stated), but I'm looking at a budget crunch right now and need something cheaper. My Randall RAT3 was just a touch too big and I really want an Ontario RAT3 in D2 to be honest, but they don't seem to make one with a plain edge that I can find anywhere (and I'm not looking for a combo or serrated edge blade for SD).

I really admire Bill Coye's work, but again, just a touch out of budget with deer season upon me and my boys wanting to hunt as well (I've spent some money on feeders/cams/etc... this year that I didn't have planned, so my knife budget went out the window and $200+ knives will have to wait).

So I'm looking at smaller-blade options (and one or two larger skinnier options) in cheaper steels such as 1095 high carbon.

My only requirements are that it is high-quality for what it is, has a full-tang (no pretty-handled knives with zero support in the handle), and I like the scaled-handles that I can replace - though not absolutely important if the quality thing is there.

I'm partial to canvas/linen micarta and G10 since this knife will be more utilitarian/Self-defense than anything, but good textured wood and fancier handles don't bother me too much (as long as they grip and are functional).

I'm not a big fan of some of the softer stainless steels (I've got AUS8 knives and some of the other 440 variants, etc... 154CM is cool and I like what Bill Coye has done by tempering the crap out of his stainless blades, but I don't trust most other knife makers to do the same unless there's word out there that their knives are holding up as tough). I'd prefer D2 or if necessary, 1095 high-carbon or some other hard steel (I can take care of carbon steel in the elements).

I want a blade that will hold its edge, should I break this knife out for something like skinning a deer (yes, I know that I shouldn't use my SD knife for utilitarian stuff, but I would like to and still have a half-way sharp knife to stab a bad-guy if he's coming at me and I need to use it for that).

Something like this:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RCIZULAB

with these handles:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RCIZULAHANDLE

Essentially:

aimages.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_ratknives_images_RCIZULAHANDLE.jpg

I like Randall Adventure Knives (now I guess they're ESEE since they got done fighting with Ontario) and the Izula is a good size (and now that they make handles for it, I feel better about carrying it as an EDC knife and not just a NECKer). I still think these guys and TOPS are over-priced for 1095, but at this point, they're in my budget and they offer American-made knives that have been proven in several tests and that's good enough until I can pick up a Bill Coye, Tom Krein, or some INFI.

I keep coming back to this one though:

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=114&osCsid=f93g5u0sdjm7nbvsq48jjds176

awww.knifeworks.com_productimages_tops_ss07.jpg

I've heard good things about the Scalpal, but it is a full 7" long (yet skinny as can be, and still 1/4" thick in the spine - its beefy enough for carry).

This one is one of my favorites (TOPS MIL-SPIE3):

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=282&osCsid=f93g5u0sdjm7nbvsq48jjds176

awww.bladehq.com_images_knives_brand_Tops_Mil_Spie3.jpg

Its a little more expensive than the others, but its a bad knife and apparently a favorite among folks who know about it. It is a full 8" long though which again gets into that "too long" territory for me to carry comfortably, but it is definitely calling to me and I did carry the RAT3 for a while (though not super-comfortably).

Anyone know of any cool knife-makers out there that offer something similar around the $100 range?

Appreciate any advice ahead of time.

Center

New to the site!
Reaction score
You should look into Blind Horse Knives and Bark River Knives. They are more traditional in there looks but are in your price range.

Woodsmonkey.com has some good reviews of several other knives in the $100 price range as well.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just recently obtained the Izula and love wearing it on my neck. I can't wait to hear more discussion and what you decide on. I don't like the long handles either, just too uncomfortable for me.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed EZ but what is the legality of carrying a fixed blade in OK? is it cool as long as it is concealed and you have a CCW?

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
stay away from tops knives. Yes they are pretty decent but they also have very acute blade grinds and are just expensive for simple steel.

Bark river.
Blind Horse
Boker ( they have stepped it up )
Colonial Knives
Mora ( these are swedish skandi grinds and are CHEAP....the mora 2000 is one of the best user knives ever....EVER.)
David Farmer Knives....awesome stuff and alot of traditional phillipine and burmese stuff. affordable too
Becker Knife and Tool
Greco Knives
this is just a smattering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom