I Need Car Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need car help, and I thought that someone here might be able to help me, or at least steer me in the right direction when it comes to this sort of thing. I am not above paying, I just do not want to get a reeming at a mechanic's shop.

Here is the problem: My driver's side windshield wiper does not move at all. It is dead. The passenger side one works like a champ, but the driver's side one refuses to move at all. I have already checked the bolt to make sure that it is tight and still nothing. This was a gradual problem that started to occur whenever the driver's side wiper would get out of sink and not go all the way down, which caused it to eventually go higher and higher until it went off the side of the windshield. This would cause it to get stuck. This happened three or four times while I was driving, and nothing that I could do would fix it. Eventually when I drove down to Norman for the FGST dinner, it got stuck on the side of the windshield and stayed there while the other ran. It was raining extremely hard at the time, and it sucked to drive there with only one windshield wiper.

Here is a video of the problem:

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/sik3sui38rzqt8z/2014-03-26%2021.15.14.mp4[/video]

Now I need to fix this problem, and I hope you guys can help me out, or at least give me some good advice.

Here is my car info:

Make: Hyuandai
Model: XG350
Year: 2004
Color: Black
Size: Four-Door Sedan

Any help I can get on this would be awesome!

Thanks again guys.

Jestik

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you know about the wiper arm nut coming loose, go ahead and turn the wipers on and look at the nut. If the nut turns but not the arm then its probably stripped out and needing a new arm, the wiper arm is splined to the shaft, if that area is stripped out and enlarged then then it may not be able to tighten down to the shaft. If the nut is not turning then you will need to remove the wiper linkage (trans) and either repair or replace it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for good measure I'd unbolt the wiper from the arm and make sure that the teeth on the shaft are not stripped and that the post will still not rotate ( I'd bet it is this) If those two things are found not true if say you have A very good possibility you need a new linkage since it appears the car only has one motor

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for good measure I'd unbolt the wiper from the arm and make sure that the teeth on the shaft are not stripped and that the post will still not rotate ( I'd bet it is this) If those two things are found not true if say you have A very good possibility you need a new linkage since it appears the car only has one motor

Agree. A new windshield wiper "transmission linkage" as they are called runs $180 from O"Reilly, then + install if you don't do it yourself. It could be several different things though, at least you know the motor works and that is not the problem. You are looking at one of the two that tyromeo55 suggested.

I would do as he said and take the wiper off the arm, and check that, if it isn't stripped on either the arm or the shaft, remove the other wiper arm and remove the plastic piece that is under your wiper arms and should give you access to the linkage. It could be it is broken or simply just a nut worked itself loose and fell off where it connects. This is a link to the linkage http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...year=2004&make=Hyundai&model=XG350&vi=1425710

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree. A new windshield wiper "transmission linkage" as they are called runs $180 from O"Reilly, then + install if you don't do it yourself. It could be several different things though, at least you know the motor works and that is not the problem. You are looking at one of the two that tyromeo55 suggested.

I would do as he said and take the wiper off the arm, and check that, if it isn't stripped on either the arm or the shaft, remove the other wiper arm and remove the plastic piece that is under your wiper arms and should give you access to the linkage. It could be it is broken or simply just a nut worked itself loose and fell off where it connects. This is a link to the linkage http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...year=2004&make=Hyundai&model=XG350&vi=1425710

Even not being inclined towards cars, you should be able to do it no problem. Take pictures of things as you take them off, that way if you forget how it came off, you can pull up the picture, and you shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure there is probably a youtube video somewhere as well you could watch. Probably an hour or two and you could do it yourself taking your time.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hyundai uses plastic washers in their windshield wipers to prevent wiper transmission damage due to excessive force ie trying to use them when they are stuck to the windshield. There's a small hinged "cap" at the base of each wiper. Flip the cap up and using a pair of pliers, tighten down the bolts. Be careful not to overtighten them or risk doing damage to the washers. If this doesn't solve your problem, you may need to replace the washers beneath the nut that connects to the wiper transmission.

You could also join a forum for your car and do a quick search, I do this with every vehicle I own.

http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-xg-350-35/

Latest posts

Top Bottom