Need A Part Made - Lathe Work - Anybody Able To Help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a variable speed polishing motor that I want to attach an adapter to that will help me with some watch case work. The arbor on the polishing machine is 8mm OD, with a flat for a set screw.

The female end of the part I'm needing to attach has a female ID of 14mm, and has a set screw.

What I'm trying to see if I can get made is a 8mm female to 14mm male adapter - each side of the adapter being 20-25mm long. Ideally, the 8mm female side would have a hole drilled and tapped so I can attached a set screw. The 14MM male side would have a flat machined on it so the set screw on my part can grab on and secure it.

Does anyone here have a lathe & mill that could do this work? I'm ideally looking for the part in stainless steel, but I'll defer to your expertise. This would be spinning up to 4k RPM. Here's a couple of photos. If you are interested, I'll gladly pay for your parts and labor.

1699664494426.png

1699664515751.png

Feel free to reach out to me via text (405-517-1379) or PM. There is undoubtedly much more data you'll probably need in order to make the part, and I'll get you whatever measurements you require. I can also bring you the polishing motor and part if you want to do more measurements yourself.

Thanks,
Adam

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adam, did a little poking around and those appear to be very common shaft diameters in stepper motors. Might I suggest giving Grainger or an electrical distributor that specialized in motion control a call? Someone like Minarik Electric. Found lots of flex couplings this diameters so I’m guessing there’s gotta be something out there already made. Thought of another….Stock Drives specializes in mechanical parts. Can’t hurt to ask.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adam, did a little poking around and those appear to be very common shaft diameters in stepper motors. Might I suggest giving Grainger or an electrical distributor that specialized in motion control a call? Someone like Minarik Electric. Found lots of flex couplings this diameters so I’m guessing there’s gotta be something out there already made. Thought of another….Stock Drives specializes in mechanical parts. Can’t hurt to ask.
I will reach out and see. Thanks.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't get the box to open so I could PM you. Anyway, if you would just draw up what you want made, I'll make it for you. It may be carbon steel and not ss. It depends on what I have on hand.
You will need the width of the flats on the 8mm ID and the 14mm OD.
I am assuming the flats will be 1/2 of the diameter of the measurement, ie 8mm will have a 4mm flat and the 14mm will have a 7mm flat. Will a 1/8 or 3/16 set screw work?

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't get the box to open so I could PM you. Anyway, if you would just draw up what you want made, I'll make it for you. It may be carbon steel and not ss. It depends on what I have on hand.
Thanks so much. I'll get thorough measurements soon and will send you a drawing.

I'll PM you since it wasn't working for you. Once you see the specs please just give me a price. I'll send you payment in whatever way works best for you, including shipping. I can't thank you enough.

You will need the width of the flats on the 8mm ID and the 14mm OD.
I am assuming the flats will be 1/2 of the diameter of the measurement, ie 8mm will have a 4mm flat and the 14mm will have a 7mm flat. Will a 1/8 or 3/16 set screw work?
I'll draw it up and will measure everything thoroughly, including the width of the flat on the 8mm polishing arbor so the same ratio can be used on the 14MM male end. It doesn't have to be all that much, just not so deep/wide that the set screw couldn't reach it.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a CAD program on my work computer. I'll draw it up this weekend @dennishoddy, but yes, that's basically it. 22mm long on each side of the adapter, totaling 44mm(ish) in total length.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my mind's eye , all you need is a round 14mm piece 44 mm long.. one end needs a flat 22 mm long the other end needs a 8mm hole drilled 22 mm deep with a set screw or two in line with each other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom