I need help picking a bolt gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off the gun will be a target rifle and maybe a sit and call varmint hunt or prairie dog shoot. I know both options will be north of 12lbs and a pain to lug around but the older I get the more I focus on small groups instead of plinking away. The choices are as follows:

Remington 700SS R5 M-24 rifling 308 with a 1-11.25 twist 24" barrel with an accuracy international 1.5 stock.

Savage 10 bask 308 with a 1-10 twist 24" barrel.

Both guns would shoot the 175 grain well and the R5 Remington is almost legendary. The savage looks impressive and Brokeasswhiteboy is showing off some impressive groups. I am leaning towards the Remington but I have never used or been around the AI stock do you guys have any input it? Which one would you pick? The prices are in the same ballpark with in $200 of each other.

Thanks for the input.

Dustin

Deacon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whatever you do, don't get a MOSSBURG. If you do the terrorists win.

Srsly though, I've read about the R5 being 1/4 MOA capable. I'd be hard to steer away from that platform if it were my money.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The AI stock has also been on the market longer than the Savage BAS stock. That may or may not mean it's better, but you have more info to make your decision on.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
mavrick I would have to go with the Remington. Also if price is no factor and you want a shooter you need to check out the FN A-5M pr the A3-G. I have the A3 and love it. Its a bit heavy but a shooter sub M.O.A anyday if I do my part.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mavrick I would have to go with the Remington. Also if price is no factor and you want a shooter you need to check out the FN A-5M pr the A3-G. I have the A3 and love it. Its a bit heavy but a shooter sub M.O.A anyday if I do my part.

That is the one my father is looking for the FN PSR in black .

Dustin

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mavrick I love my FN it is a great shooter. It will do all I could ask of it. I had a hard time finding one. I had to hunt high and low.What caliber is he looking at? The only thing I would do different and will is get one with a detachable box magazine.