I need reloading help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I found some powder. Accurate TCM. It says it is/can be used in 357 magnum pistols. Ok.... that’s what I’ll be shooting it out of. However, I am going to reloading 38 spl brass. So here’s my question. I know 38 spl brass can handle pressures up to around 15,000. The 357 magnum can handle pressures around 36,000. I’ll be shooting lead, 158 gr semi wad cutter bullets with brinell hardness of around 14. I have seen 357 load data
for this powder. It says 10.3 gr will produce pressures of around 33k. So... if I cut the load down to around 3 gr. I should be able to shoot 38 spl safely and not split brass right? I’m not worried about exceeding pressures for the 357 pistol. I just don’t want split cases and incur problems like that. What say you?

Or does anyone have any info on this powder in 38 spl applications? Or even a good load recipe?

Thanks

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I found some powder. Accurate TCM. It says it is/can be used in 357 magnum pistols. Ok.... that’s what I’ll be shooting it out of. However, I am going to reloading 38 spl brass. So here’s my question. I know 38 spl brass can handle pressures up to around 15,000. The 357 magnum can handle pressures around 36,000. I’ll be shooting lead, 158 gr semi wad cutter bullets with brinell hardness of around 14. I have seen 357 load data
for this powder. It says 10.3 gr will produce pressures of around 33k. So... if I cut the load down to around 3 gr. I should be able to shoot 38 spl safely and not split brass right? I’m not worried about exceeding pressures for the 357 pistol. I just don’t want split cases and incur problems like that. What say you?

Or does anyone have any info on this powder in 38 spl applications? Or even a good load recipe?

Thanks
Only if you find a good recipe for that powder in 38. They have been tested in a ballistics lab. But I would NOT try radical cutting back a powder like that. Not all powder can be used for a reduced load. Some like H110 are only recommended for near max loads. You can get into a dangerous situation like that. You can even unknowingly have a bullet not exit the barrel and lodge doing that. I think you can imagine what your next shot is going to do after that happens.
Try to find a recipe for you cal and powder or you just have to bite the bullet and find a recommended powder. Someone here may have tried this powder before and have some info for your 38 cal.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks

I say cut your losses with this powder and go back to your original thread requesting recommendations for 38 special powders.

If you decide to load some really hot 357 loads, that powder may be ok. You need to stay in the working range of what a powder was designed to operate at.

Stick with some proven powders with tons of load data.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks
Consult the Manufacturers customer service and ask them. It's likely they have the actual testing data for the loads your wanting to produce. They will also tell you if it's unsafe and why because they have tried it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom