I need some long johns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Under Armour base layers for years. The thicker layers I wear when I'm more sedentary, like in a tree stand. But I've actually had great results wearing their "Heat Gear" line when I'm more mobile Quail and Pheasant hunting. They are great underneath hunting pants and Filson chaps. Nothing like bird hunting when the morning starts at 25 and hits 65 in the afternoon.

Also, a must have his underwear from Duluth Trading!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve done some research. The base layer is designed to wick the sweat away from the body without allowing it back in. I’m guessing it’s something like goretex you don’t hear much about anymore.
Poly-pro is designed to wick moisture away from the body, to the outside of the fabric. Gore-Tex was designed to allow sweat vapor to escape, but not allow outside moisture (such as fog and rain) to get in. Gore-Tex, then, is an outer layer, not a base layer. And for the record, even Gore-Tex feels clammy on a very wet day if you're working hard (I've owned a Gore-Tex jacket for some 20 years, and have cycled thousands of miles wearing it).

One point about merino wool, wool will insulate when wet, while most poly-pro will not. For hands and feet, which are particularly hard to keep warm, VBL's (vapor barrier linings) are the best things going.

Latest posts

Top Bottom