I want to start reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LenBob

I've mostly been a rimfire shooter and have never considered getting into reloading. However, I recently acquired a couple 223 AR's and a few 9mm pistols and that has me thinking a little differently.

This forum has some good info on reloading, (the sticky is great reading!) and after spending the entire weekend doing more research, I've decided to buy a Dillon press. I will most likely get a 550B and that would suit my needs just fine; unfortunately, I can't help but want a 650! Is that just plum crazy?:screwy:

What's your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks.

B

bottomcoon

My thought is buy a cheap single stage setup to start with. Going to a progressive Dillion right out of the box is a lot like buying a single shot twenty two shooting it once and getting an M249

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Lee turret press and it has taught me a lot already, there's a learning curve with any press so don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone the loads on here has been a great help so far.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too started with a Lee turret press back when dirt was young, and still have it for small batches. Dillons are the main loaders for me.

However, I have mentored several people who started out on Dillons, which are far faster.
It isn't rocket science, but you do need to follow directions exactly and learn the process.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with an RL550B because you can use it as a single stage if you want to learn at a normal pace and then be able to speed up as soon as you feel ready. Plus its so easy to convert to a different caliber and I shoot a variety of calibers. So I learned on it at my own rate. When I wanted to start going faster, I just started going faster. The machine was already set up and in place. Later I spoiled myself and bought another so I wouldn't have to change primer sizes/powder bars/conversion kits.

I later bought an XL650 to produce a single caliber even faster. I never have plans to change the XL650 to any other caliber, even though many people do. If I begin shooting another caliber at the rate I shoot 9mm, I'll just buy another XL650.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with the old Lee loader hammer driven reloading set, went to a single stage RCBS and after several years then to a Dillon RL-550B. I now have two of the RL-550B presses up and running, one with a case feeder. The main drawback to the 550B is that the case feeder only works for pistol calibers. I have way too much invested in conversions to switch at this point in time to a 650, but if I was starting over, I would go with a 650 just for the ability to load rifle stuff with the case feeder. I'd have to count them, but I think I am set up to load about 30 different cartridges with the 550s. You will need a good powder scale to set your powder measures with, and I think everyone ought to have at least one beam scale (mechanical, not electronic) just to be safe. I have several friends who load with the Hornady Lock 'n Load AP which is their progressive press. They swear by it, but I have never loaded on one. Get something and get going. You will shoot a lot more for less money. You won't save money, but you will shoot a heck of a lot more... Blitzfike

L

LenBob

Get something and get going. You will shoot a lot more for less money. You won't save money, but you will shoot a heck of a lot more... Blitzfike

Not only can I see myself shooting a lot more, but I can also see myself getting into the calibers I've been avoiding because of ammunition costs. For instance, if I have a press, I will predict about a half dozen 1911's in my future! It will be one of those "if you build it, they will come" scenarios.:teehee:

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I went right for the progressive press for my pistols. You shoot a lot of bullets from pistols and will want to load lots of them. Loading pistol bullets on a single stage press will only MAKE you get a progressive press quicker, that's if you shoot a lot.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quality or Quantity.

I personally personally prefer single stage - there is a lot more "feel" to it, and to make very accurate ammo you'll have to learn the "feel".

Pistol rounds - just "yank 'em out".

Latest posts

Top Bottom