I went shooting today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a chance to go to the range today and I thought I'll share a couple of things.
I shot the Kahr P380 again, when I first got it it was pretty unreliable. I decided that before I get upset I should follow the instructions and shoot a few rounds through it. When I reached about 100rnds, it transformed in to an accurate, reliable pistol. Since then I fired another 100 rounds or so without any problems. Shot another 50 today without any issues. I guess they mean it when they say it has to be broken in first.
I shot a G22 gen3 and a G22 gen4 side by side. I find the gen4 to handle recoil better. It seems that the new spring takes the sharp kick out. The recoil is the same more or less, just softer.
I chronographed a G22, G22C and a G27. Limited testing with two kinds of ammo.
I don't have the numbers with me right now but basically it turns out that the G22C does not lose any velocity compared to the G22. I was sure it will be slower because of the vents, it turned out that it was hardly noticeable. The G27 was 50-60ft/sec slower which is a lot less than I expected, good choice when a small gun is needed.
I tested the latest springs in a gen4 G17 and G22, both worked fine. I like the latest springs, they seem to be tuned better than previous and are easier to remove/install. The G17 with the longer threaded barrel was registering 1380ft/sec with the 115gr Rangers, that should be close to 1400 at the muzzle, not a bad round.
Nothing scientific, just killing time.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have your own chrono? I want one so bad, just to play around with.

I bought it back in the 90s.
You can find a shooting chrony for $75 and up, the base model is fine.
If you reload, it is very handy. Today I was shooting some 147gr 9mm in a G17 with a silencer. All of a sudden it failed to eject completely. Luckily I was shooting over the chrony at the time and the reason for the malfunction was clear, the velocity was 100ft/sec below what it should be. The problem was the reload not the gun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, my glock doesn't like light loads either. My Sig does, so I was used to loading light when I got the G19.

The only real option I'd like on a Chrono is to get one with the remote readout/control. Very handy. Still can get one for under $100

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought and sold 2 new Kahrs (380 and PM9), both were flawless and accurate out of the box. Nice guns. I am glad to hear that they came into their own.

I also have a PM9, it was good from the start. The 380 was a bit of a disappointment in the beginning, now I'm glad I bought it. Sometimes I need something small to carry around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom