Ichthys knife's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What blade steel are you using? Are you doing your own heat treating? What grinding setup are you using? Using round stock for pins or corby bolts?

Asking those questions because if you truly are looking to start selling your knives, take a look at the total cost of materials and consumables (grinding belts and sandpaper can add up quick), along with any outside treatment (i.e. sending out for heat treating). Take the total and charge double(ish) that until you feel like you've got the heat treat, temper, fit/finish, sharpening where you want it (and be honest with yourself), then start charging more. If you charge too much for a poor product it's only going to bite you in the butt in the long run. If you spend any time on any knife forums they'll be brutally honest with you and will usually tell you that the first couple dozen knives should be considered educational experiences that you shouldn't charge much for (but should absolutely cover your expenses), but once you have a consistent process and results, that's when you can really start charging what the knife is "worth".

The pics you posted look great! Would like to see some closer up for sure. Good luck! I miss making knives....

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking knives. I’d be willing to test the antler one for $50 (rude offer, I know) but it’s Christmas time and ima cheapskate. I mean, I can go buy that same exact knife at harbor fraught for $10. 🤪

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To avoid discontent, don't forget to gently educate whoever gets your knives. I work only with carbon steel. My tiller tine knives are probably 5160 spring steel, easily take a razor edge, and only need a couple of occasional light swipes with a good steel to re-sharpen. But to avoid rust and stains they also must be wiped dry after use and NEVER left immersed in water overnight or (OMG) put in a dishwasher, lol.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good looking knives. I’d be willing to test the antler one for $50 (rude offer, I know) but it’s Christmas time and ima cheapskate. I mean, I can go buy that same exact knife at harbor fraught for $10. 🤪
Uh huh.. what about this one?

Attachments

• filework2.jpg
    filework2.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 0

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful $8 knife on Wish.com. 😍

I'm not sure how I feel about file work. It really looks good but it's almost to much for my personal taste. I do feel I'm in the minority on that though.im pretty simple
Not even sure what "wish.com" is, so I guess that was humor. I'll pass on the $8 offer, since that wouldn't pay for 1/4 the cost of Amboyna Burl scale stock. :) The JK is just my initials, I mark some of my knives that way. As for filework, you're right, Snipe, it's to each his own. Like any semi-fancy touches it's not for everyone, but good filework is very absorbing and exacting work, and can be fun for a change if bored with plain through-handle blade finishing. For the same reason, I sometimes do Mexican double lacing on an entire sheath rather than stitching it, or like on the below knife capping the tines on a deer antler handle with polished Macassar ebony instead of just polishing the raw ends. Time consuming stuff, but the end product is more rewarding and satisfying to the maker. Zillion-layer damascus is pretty, too, but not for me since making a billet with a hand hammer is not much fun for me past 20 or 30 layers . The example below is only 19 layers of 1095 and 15N20, but it's probably about my limit since I don't own a power hammer.

Attachments

• DSC01570.JPG
    DSC01570.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom