ID this S&W?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o293_stingrayg4_Guns_DSC00146.jpg

I've had this gun for over 20 years. My dad gave it to me when he got out of collecting back in the '80s. It's just sat on the shelf more or less forgotten over the years. Of course I know it's a Smith & Wesson, but I could never find anything on the gun to indicate the model. It has some markings on the top of the barrel, but they're badly worn. What I can make out reads:

SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA PAT D MAY 11 80

there's another line of what appears to be patent dates underneath that first line, but it's too worn for me to make out clearly.

Serial number is 1096xx

It's chambered to fire .38 S&W

Any info that anyone has on this little pistol would be greatly appreciated.

-S

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a 3rd model .38 Safety Hammerless, also called the New Departure.
They were made from 1890-1898 with serial numbers ranging from 42484-116002.
The star may denote a factory refinish. Nickle finish on these early revolvers is the norm, with blue finish being the exception. Neither is rare or even scarce with 73518 being manufactured.
Hope this helps-

p.s. My nickle 3rd mod. left the factory in 1894. ;)

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a 3rd model .38 Safety Hammerless, also called the New Departure.
They were made from 1890-1898 with serial numbers ranging from 42484-116002.
The star may denote a factory refinish. Nickle finish on these early revolvers is the norm, with blue finish being the exception. Neither is rare or even scarce with 73518 being manufactured.
Hope this helps-

p.s. My nickle 3rd mod. left the factory in 1894. ;)

Thank you, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Really quick too!

I'm curious as to what the value would be for this gun. Not sure I'd want to sell it, but you never know.

-S

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with everything, condition dictates the price. I'm really not that up on Top-breaks and prices are all over the board right now, but if the mechanics are sound and the bore is in good shape, $175-$250 might be a starting point. The SASS guys seem to be buying up all of these that are shootable for competition use.

If it helps...I paid $250 for mine four years ago, but it's in about 95-98% condition; no finish wear or nickle flaking, number matching hard rubber grips with no fading, wear or chips/cracks.
The boxes for these are worth considerably more then the revolvers that came in them!

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again. This one is pretty worn. Seems to be shootable, but I've never tried it, for lack of availability of .38 S&W ammo. Again, not even sure I'd want to part with it, but it's still good to get an idea of value.

-S

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
These old revolvers are from a pretty unique period in time, as double actions were just starting to become reliable and gain in popularity and open carry was going away in the few locations it was still allowed. It seemed like everyone jumped on the "belly gun" wagon; manufactures and consumers alike.

.38 S&W ammo is still available and most is suitable for use in these older handguns. There are a few companies the sell light cowboy type loads specifically for this type of revolver, that are even lower pressure then those from the "Big Three".
I've shot mine on several occasions and found it to be as accurate as most of my newer J frames; plus it's a hoot to actually shoot something like an old time lawman or outlaw may have used in their trade.

Now that you know what it is, you might want to research the value on a few different firearms sales/auction sites, just to see what they are actually selling for; around here, at the local gun shows they seem to be priced to high as I see the same ones show after show.

If you do decide to use it; please be sure to have it thoroughly checked by a competent gunsmith before you send any rounds down range. Like they say...It's all fun, until someone gets hurt! ;)