Idiot-Proof Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "not easy to ND" is kind of an odd requirement. That's kinda of like buying a supercar with a reduced ability for speed and handling. You buy a gun to shoot, and since an ND primarily translates to pulling the trigger when you shouldn't have, if it's hard to ND, it's hard to shoot. So I'm not really sure what you mean.

I just thought about that this morning. I know I said that this person would be following the basic firearm safety, so trigger discipline would make the accidental ND unlikely. I guess I'm referring to guns that require you to manually lower the hammer, tend to fire out of battery (particularly if you do something "wrong") slam fire, or what have you.

I would say firing a DA/SA in single action is not any harder than just a SA, so I guess I don't know what YOU mean about it being harder to shoot if it's harder to ND

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this person interested in a pistol that they plan to use in a life saving role?

Let's assume it's their one gun, so it'll be used for self defense should they ever come to that. I'd put the ease of controls and use under duress in the same category as "idiot proof", I guess

But this by no means means it NEEDS to be adequate for self defense, as I mentioned. But as far as rim fires go, I wouldn't actually recommend a .22 since dry-firing is a no-no, and this hypothetical "idiot" does not know about that.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since "very casual or novice" shooters often have trouble with muzzle awareness and keeping the booger hook off the bang switch, I think it is better to train the shooter than try to find an idiot-proof gun. There is no such gun, and the most effective safety is between your ears.
Example: Woman with "simple" revolver ignored instructions to fire double action only, and then was standing there talking over her shoulder with the revolver cocked and her finger inside the trigger guard in CHL class.
Example: Man with striker fired pistol loaded and in hand in CHL class answers cell phone, switches gun to off hand, and starts talking with finger in trigger guard of pistol.

(It IS possible to fail CHL class)

Comment: I sometimes recommend the S&W SD9 for someone who wants minimal training, since it is striker fired with good ergonomics, moderate trigger pull, no external safety, rugged and reliable. However, some who have bought them immediately want to put in a kit to lighten the trigger....:screwy:

Again, I think you're missing the point. I'm just asking about simplicity, and the likelihood that they're going to cause some sort of shearing wear or damage while trying to field strip it. Again, we're assuming they already know all there is about safety. I guess I'm more concerned about their gun's safety in this hypothetical lol

I know for a fact some handguns (HK?) are more finicky and need more care or lube to run better. I want to know which of these to avoid for someone who isn't interested in spending much time fussing over their pistol, and just wants to shoot it 1-2 times a month.

Also, I'm not a fan of lightening trigger pulls myself on a hunting, carry or SD firearm. The only thing I would do that for is a competitive race gun or something

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, what can cause a revolver to go out of timing? Is there any user-error or neglect that would cause this.

Again, these are things I'm concerned about. So far, pretty good responses thanks guys.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no advantage to owning a revolver over a semi auto for defensive use except possibly firing from a pocket. Yes, i said that.
They are slower to reload, have less capacity, and are on the whole more difficult to shoot well.
Your friend needs a Glock, in a frame size that fits their hand. Preferably a double stack magazine variant. Dead nuts simple, accurate and boringly reliable.

I would give a distant 2nd place to a Smith M&P, but only if the grip size on the Glock is too large and definitely without the external thumb safety.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a revolver there is no disassembly/assembly to deal with.
No missing parts, springs or pins to fly across the room.
I think we are giving advice for someone who is new to firearms. Not someone who is unable to keep track of 4 basic parts. Judging by the op's description of the intended use by the owner and their firing schedule, i dont see them needing to disassemble the pistol any time this decade. Seriously, its a Glock. Not exactly a high precision, low tolerance weapon.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't count out the 1911; it's about as easy to field strip as anything out there. Basically, most semi-auto pistols designed for military use (SIG P22x-series, Beretta 9x-series, etc) will meet most of your requirements. They tend to have tool-free field stripping and robust parts--the 1911 is a marvel of mechanical simplicity.

I would leave the Hi-Power and the Ruger Mark II out of the mix, though, as you can screw things up badly if you reassemble them improperly. (I highly recommend not reassembling a Hi-Power with the guide rod upside down.)

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Double action revolvers can be wrecked by users slamming the cylinder shut with the wrist flick trick from TV/movies. They can be over lubed and gummed up. Too much dry fire can break firing pins. Like anything mechanical, things will get out of whack.

The modern semi-auto's are the simplest. A Glock is near dummy proof as is the FN FNS. M&P series adds the step of moving the wire paddle in the mag well into takedown mode. All these and others have mainspring cartridges. Others like the SIG 226/228/229 have simple takedown but have a loose mainspring. Some of the Rugers are a hold your mouth right proposition to tear down to field strip status.

Latest posts

Top Bottom