If a guy just had to have a .357 lever action...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have always wondered about Rossi Quality. Good?
They need a little slicking up and there's plenty of tutorials and cowboy action smiths that do it. They lock up like an 1886 and you can run pretty hot loads. I've never seen them with poor quality. The Chiappa m92s are much better but are ~$500 more.

So, budget, I'd get a Rossi. Money? I'd get a Chiappa or a Winchester M92.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Henry 357 and a Rossi 45 colt. The Henry is a well built solid gun, but it’s picky with the ammo. I’m on the lookout for a Rossi in 357. For a good value type gun, my vote is to buy the Rossi

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my gun trading days, I owned half a dozen Marlin 94’s in 44 and 357, and I’m sure wishing I had them back now.
In my opinion, if you “want” a Marlin, save your pennies, suck it up, and buy one. You may have to pay a premium, but I seriously doubt they’ll be going down in value.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is on my wish list as soon as I find one in stock. In 44 mag. for a reasonable price. If you can find them in 44 mag. the price is usually $500 above msrp.
20220213_220037.jpg

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had the marlin, Rossi and browning. Stuck with the marlin but wish I had them all back. I load 4.6gr of HP38 in a 357 shell with a cowboy style 158gr lead bullet. Fun as heck! The 357 brass cycles a little smoother than the 38 when cycling the action fast.
Btw, that same load was the bees knees in the Python yesterday

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m a Henry Top 100 dealer and can’t say enough good about them. The singular issue is getting them. The .357 is the most popular one we sell next to the 45-70 and theyre always a tough get. IMO, the Marlins are really nice but over- rated. I personally own a late ‘90’s Rossi 16” SRC that I worked over a bit and not only is it accurate, but I can literally run the action with one finger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom