If you ever ask my advice, remember this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, then someone needs to explain the proof system to Grandpa... :D
Corn likker doesn't need cut. It's pure alcohol.
Speaking for a friend that just happened to have some of the pure stuff right out of the still, you can put some on the table, light it and never see the flame, but you can put your hand over it and feel the heat. If there are impurities, the flame can be seen.
If I remember right, NASCAR had to introduce impurities into the alcohol fuel used in cars so flames could be seen after a wreck on the track. There was an incident where folks ran into a wreck to rescue and were burned because the flames couldn't be seen.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of which changes the proof system...

Everclear says 190 proof, 95% ABV on the label (I think they also make 160 proof, but I've never seen any around here).

So... even if you could get "corn likker" to 100% alcohol, it would be 200 proof (not 100). :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Pure" is a relative term. Ethanol is hygroscopic; it'll suck the water right out of the air. You can dry is out further than is possible with simple distillation, but that involves toxic addictions (usually benzene).
When I refer to corn likker, lighten up francis. That's not scientific terms. If you want scientific terms and proper terminology, I'll be happy to oblige.
My friend is well aware of the "heads" and "tails" of distilling corn likker and the toxins that can be produced at the temperatures required to distill.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
popcornsuttonblackandwhite_kindlephoto-175580747.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom