i'm calling - but answer this "non-res hunter Q" please..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getsum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the local gas station by the property that the wife and I bought 2 yrs ago about licenses...

I will be hunting - RIFLE + Non RESIDENT , but I will be on the land that I own..

They tell me @ the gas station that sales --licenses ---

I have to buy a NR gun license.
$145.ish....
I then ask about TAGS.
They tell me that I do not have to buy tags since I am hunting on my own land.
¤ State that if I plan to take the deer to a check station I need to buy TAGS, but if not, and if I am not going to mount and just process and put the meat in the freezer --- then I do not need to buy tags...

Is that right ??

I am calling the OWD in a bit , but thought I would ask..

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Off of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife site:

Landowners or Tenants

Resident landowners or tenants who hunt only on land owned or leased by them (not including hunting leases) are exempt from the hunting license. Resident landowners who hunt waterfowl and other migratory game birds only on their own property are exempt from the Oklahoma waterfowl license and HIP requirements.

Only resident landowners or tenants or such individual’s children who trap on land owned or leased by such owner or tenant (not including hunting leases) are exempt from purchasing a trapping license.

Persons residing in another state who own land in Oklahoma but do not live on that land are considered nonresidents and are not exempt.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I hunt on my brother-in-law's land. He owns it so we know that he needs tags only.

However that's the only land I hunt on. Let's say that I leased it from him (not for a hunting lease but just a general lease) Would I be considered a "tenant" and exempt from a hunting license?

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I hunt on my brother-in-law's land. He owns it so we know that he needs tags only.

However that's the only land I hunt on. Let's say that I leased it from him (not for a hunting lease but just a general lease) Would I be considered a "tenant" and exempt from a hunting license?

Quick answer is you are not exempt. a tenant is someone who dwells on the land. If you rent a house on this property, then you would be exempt.

Title 41 section 102 : "Tenant" means any person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit.

Disclaimer - this is not legal advice and I could be totally wrong. I guess If you have a lease for unlimited use, you might be exempt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom