I'm Done With One-Piece Scope Mounts on ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Armalite scope mounts are proper height for you, and can be removed without tools: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.as...Category=42e7b122-a6b4-4865-ba95-6586ae8e163f

On the other hand, is the teeter-totter setup you got any better than gaping the bridge with standard rings?
The Armalite mounts don't extend far enough forward to get any kind of decent eye relief.

The YHM riser is very solid. It isn't any more of a "teeter totter" than any other extended scope mount that sticks out that far. I definitely think it is preferable to "bridging the gap," as everything is attached to the receiver, instead of part of it clamped to a handguard that floats independently and sees different kinds of pressure put on it, especially in sling-supported positions. I haven't done any testing with it, but I don't think I have to in order to know that "bridging the gap" could cause some POI shifts.

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take a Larue 158, with it being 0.19" higher center line, than the OP's teeter totter. I want something strong and that won't get knocked off when I throw my gun down. The extra 0.19" of height isn't a big deal at all. Having an optic hanging on by that setup is a big deal and just waiting to be knocked off of zero.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not how far it extends. It's how it attaches. There is no possible way that this setup is as stable or solid as a Larue or the Armalite mentioned above.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a solid, monolithic picatinny base with two cross bolts. It's not going anywhere. It is actually more solid than any QD base, as it is not a "split" design, and engages the rail over the whole length of the mounting surface. To install, it must be slipped on at one or the other end of the rail and slid all the way down to it's final position. It is a pretty tight fit even before you put in the cross bolts.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physics would dictate that it's not as strong as a Larue mount due to the limit amount of rail that it's in contact with and the small distance between the two cross bolts.

Take this setup and run several 3Gun matches with it, throwing it down in a barrel in a hurry, and see if it holds its zero. If it does, maybe I'll be a believer.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 gun matches, ****... this optic setup has already been to the Pecos Run 'n Gun (10K run through the desert with shooting) on a .308, and is going to be used at that type of event regularly.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 gun matches, ****... this optic setup has already been to the Pecos Run 'n Gun (10K run through the desert with shooting) on a .308, and is going to be used at that type of event regularly.

Running with it, either carrying it, slung or strapped down to you and pulling it out and shooting isn't nearly as harsh as throwing a gun into a barrel, like in a 3Gun match. But hey, sounds like it fits your needs so...

Latest posts

Top Bottom