I'm looking to purchase a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for my wife. We have been looking for a sd handgun that would fit nicely in her purse, my glock 26+holster are bulky and took almost all the space in the purse. So my last options are Kel-Tec, Bersa in .380. I don't have any experience and never shot a .380 before. I need some advices on these 2 guns and your opinion, thanks for your help.

.380 is a good sd round?

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the .380, it has it's place for a pocket pistol, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd much rather have a Smith J-frame. .38 Special and certainly .38 +P is a much better round.

I have shot both the Kel-Tec and the Bersa. They both work, but the Bersa was pretty large and the Kel-Tec was hard to shoot accurately. I didn't like the recoil either. A J-frame is light, compact, offers much better ballistics and IMO accuracy. You can also load light .38s for practice and stock it up with some Gold Dots for SD.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a Kahr? I went through several of them for my wife, before she found one she liked. We tried a PM9, P9 Covert, CW9, and finally ended up with a K9 she liked.

She had been using a G19, but it was a little big for her. The P series were a little too small, and light, the CW was OK, just still a little light. The K is the right balance of weight and size.

I know they have had a lot of improvements on the 380 round, I just haven't got to the point I would feel comfortable with it as my primary carry. I would like to have one, just cause they look cool to shoot, but I couldn't do it as primary carry. Small round and usually only 6 or 7 shots doesn't make me happy.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a Kahr? I went through several of them for my wife, before she found one she liked. We tried a PM9, P9 Covert, CW9, and finally ended up with a K9 she liked.

She had been using a G19, but it was a little big for her. The P series were a little too small, and light, the CW was OK, just still a little light. The K is the right balance of weight and size.

I know they have had a lot of improvements on the 380 round, I just haven't got to the point I would feel comfortable with it as my primary carry. I would like to have one, just cause they look cool to shoot, but I couldn't do it as primary carry. Small round and usually only 6 or 7 shots doesn't make me happy.

Haven't look into K9 yet, totally forgot about kahr. Thanks, I'll look into it.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charte makes a line of light weight revolvers in .38. They will handle +p+ loads also. I have the off duty and i will feel 100% comfortable carrying it as a primary ccw.