I'm looking to purchase a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single stack 9 if you want to stick with 9. I have seen some ballistic tests where penetration and expansion didnt differ much from .380 to .38. I did buy my wife a pink lcp, will be here tomorrow (thanks natgas for handling the transfer). My thought is, its better than the pepper spray thats in there now, more often than not, shes with me. You cant say that a bigger bullet is always better. I have heard of people getting shot in the head with a .380 and still walking around, and I have heard the same story about people getting shot with a .45. Shot placement is more important than anything. Just find something she likes, is comfortable carrying, and is capable of using. If she doesnt like shooting the .38, and wont carry it, it doesnt do any good. If she likes shooting it, but doesnt like carrying it, it does no good. So sometimes there are compromises that have to be made (capacity, caliber etc) but ultimately, a .380 is better than the alternative, which is nothing.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, its not. Lots of PDs limit off duty weapons to .38 special revolver/9mm semi for stopping power reasons.

jej

Hmm, I thought 380 and a 38 were virtually the same ballistics.. but I'd rather not start a caliber war.. :D

OP:the smaller the gun the more snappy they get regardless of caliber as I'm assure you're aware of with your 26, my experience is also limited with 380 as the only one I've shot is my Walther PPK/s Interarms, its alittle smaller then your 26 but MUCH more slimmer.
ai449.photobucket.com_albums_qq215_thelastdaze_walther_glockwalther.jpg

a kel tec p3at is about like shooting a 38 revolver as far as recoil.. If your wife can shoot your 26 fairly well then something smaller would be ok, depends on her ability to control the recoil from a super small gun..

shanedd1422

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend getting a Taurus TCP. It is their pocket pistol .380 and is better in my opinion than the Bersa and Kel-Tec. I have shot one a few times and love it. It is a little heavier and manages the recoil a little better.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Single stack 9 if you want to stick with 9. I have seen some ballistic tests where penetration and expansion didnt differ much from .380 to .38. I did buy my wife a pink lcp, will be here tomorrow (thanks natgas for handling the transfer). My thought is, its better than the pepper spray thats in there now, more often than not, shes with me. You cant say that a bigger bullet is always better. I have heard of people getting shot in the head with a .380 and still walking around, and I have heard the same story about people getting shot with a .45. Shot placement is more important than anything. Just find something she likes, is comfortable carrying, and is capable of using. If she doesnt like shooting the .38, and wont carry it, it doesnt do any good. If she likes shooting it, but doesnt like carrying it, it does no good. So sometimes there are compromises that have to be made (capacity, caliber etc) but ultimately, a .380 is better than the alternative, which is nothing.

Agreed, and with that said I think that a Beretta Jetfire .25 (the old one) is a substantial BUG, and could be an EDC without a problem. Remember most instances where a CC holder has to brandish his/her gun they wont have to use it, the BG would have to be an idiot to approach someone after having a gun pulled on them.I remember when I was a kid (I'm 40) a lot of people used to carry .32's .25's .38 this was the norm, no internet back then to start all these caliber wars.. :bigeye:

Simply put, I'd rather have ANY gun then no gun at all........

zerotonothing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the article as well...but it wasn't very comforting. Every one of the guns reviewed had numerous failures with the exception of the Rohrbaugh R380 (which is outrageously expensive). IMO; I think there are far better defensive handgun platforms out there. I'd never settle for any handgun based on size alone.

My fiance' carries a Glock 19 in a cheap blackhawk holster in her purse on a daily basis. I think your wife needs to pick a purse that fits the gun; instead of a gun that fits the purse.

There's a nice article in the Febuary American Rifleman on .380's.
List 6 or 7 pocket size pistols.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a Kahr? I went through several of them for my wife, before she found one she liked. We tried a PM9, P9 Covert, CW9, and finally ended up with a K9 she liked.

I looked on Impactsgun.com for K9. All I saw was PM9, I don't see and list under K9. Is this the one? Kahr PM9 9mm, Polymer, 3 Inch, Blackened DLC Slide.

My fiance' carries a Glock 19 in a cheap blackhawk holster in her purse on a daily basis. I think your wife needs to pick a purse that fits the gun; instead of a gun that fits the purse.

Well the thing is her hands/palms are very small. She's tiny person, her finger barely reach the trigger on G19. So, I think Kahr would fit her better.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see it's for your wife. Something to concider is how comfortable your wife is with the workings of differant weapons (semi-auto vs. revolver; safety/no safety etc.). My wife can shoot but is not a shooter. She has difficulty in working the slide on some of the smaller semi-autos and over-all, just isn't comfortable with working the safety and the mechanical aspect of a semi-auto. She is more comfortable with a revolver and has a lot more confidence in them and her ability to work/shoot them. My plans are to find her a S&W J frame in .38 or maybe an older S&W revolver in 9mm.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked on Impactsgun.com for K9. All I saw was PM9, I don't see and list under K9. Is this the one? Kahr PM9 9mm, Polymer, 3 Inch, Blackened DLC Slide.

No, that is a PM, those have a polymer frame. They are great guns, I carry one as a BUG, but they are lighter and transfer more of the recoil, which is kind of hard to handle in a small gun for someone with small hands, which is the problem my wife had with it.

Here is one at Bud's Gun Shop in Blackened Stainless. The frame is a little bigger, and the steel frame absorbs more of the recoil. If you want, I will bring my wifes's next time I am in the city and meet you up at H&H if she wants to try it out. I may be back over there next week.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/16133