I'm old and learned something new today - Graupel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sleet: Freezing rain into small ice crystals sometime with rain
Snow: Frozen ice crystals that form directly from the cloud vapor and fall as snow
Graupel: Snow covered with frozen water vapor usually fragile to the touch. Often called Soft Hail or Hard snow.
Hail: Water vapor forzen solid usually around a nucleus of snow or sleet or graupel. Usually, the hail has made many up and down trips inside the cloud due to updrafts causing more and more layers of ice to form until the updraft is no longer able to keep it aloft and it falls to earth.

1709246166859.png

1709245405879.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Memorable events in hail, both while living and working on the farm/ranch. Driving cattle by way of horseback about 5 miles or so to a new field for them to graze and all of a sudden, all the cows and horses made a 180 degree turn AT ONCE to put their backs to the coming rain and hail. We got to sit there in the storm and make sure that none of the cattle decided to move off and head away from the storm.

On another occasion, we had just finished checking cattle via horses and loaded the horses back into the horse trailer. As we were getting into the pickup, I looked up and a hailstone bigger than my fist hit the ground. That certainly made us speed up on getting in. Fortunately, none of us were actually in it, and the horses had a cover over them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom