4th Annual Winter Dualsport Ride (3 days) in SE OK / Ar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After all this i didn't much get the camera out anymore... we headed back to camp and Jon started drying out on the fire... Me Wade and Gene decide to head into town... The road to town out of camp was still a little damp and snowy, but we'd been down it a few times now so i was feeling good about it and stepped up the pace. Wade decided to kick it up a notch too and kept up good... unfortunately Genes top speed is somewhere around 45 (and we were running up to 80)... we stopped an waited a few times, but ran the last half of the way w/o stopping... Figured it was a straight shot. When Gene never showed at the highway we got worried and headed back halfway to camp. With no sign of gene, and my bike switching over to reserve, we decided to head on into town.

First gas and then Walmart. I needed more water, some shoes, and a chair! Wade found us some 1/2 size kiddie chairs and i found us some fuzzy slippers! This was gonna be a real treat. Unknowingly we both picked up Brats with cheese, and of course two small cases of water. I must admit we looked like vagabonds walking into Walmart... boots covered in dry mud, unshaven, and dirty.

Loaded down we headed back into camp. Thank god for Wade's headlight on the 650 or else it would have taken hours to navigate off of my headlight alone.

Just as expected, the chairs and shoes were perfect. After sitting on nothing but a motorcycle seat and the ground for a couple of days, you realize just how much you need a chair to sit in and some soft shoes to relax in by the fire.

I retired to the tent early in an effort to get more sleep Saturday night, this time retaining several layers. I was warm all night and slept till morning.

Wayne had come down with a cold so he had his wife meeting him somewhere not too far away with a trailer, and Monty was heading back south, so they broke camp a little after we did. Monty was videoing us leaving camp, so i decided to ass off. Being the last guy to get the bike started moments before everyone took off, i decided to rock a wheelie out of camp... The wheelie was good, the landing was not. I held it took long and as i set it down i had to ride into the ditch... which to my dismay was blocked by a decent size downed tree... some calm thinking and quick steering got me back on track and i managed not to crash. This antic scared my little Intel guy so much he jumped off the front fender and bailed... No man left behind though so i turned back, scooped him up, and tucked him in the back again.

As others have recounted, Gene ran out of gas twice on the way into town, and Fowler ran out once. The rest of the ride back to Billy Creek was fun, and we had talimena drive entirely to ourselves.

On the way back i took a detour up to Talimena State Park (in the truck) hoping to catch a hot shower... nope. All the bathrooms were locked up tight. Bummer.

I look forward to this ride again next year, and like HF, if it looks like it'll be too easy, i might not show up. I came for the challenge, and it felt rewarding to make it through this ride unscathed. Truth is, i hope theres 6" of snow next year. I would love to see what its like to ride in snow that deep, and look forward to the challenge.

Good times, good trails, good buddies. Lets do it again!

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done a bit of riding with Monte and HF myself. Good guys to ride/camp with!

We did a week of riding/camping in Colorado about 18mos ago
agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_599112980_RYUGA_L.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_599108462_J7mRp_L.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where is this at? Any detail of the route? Would love to try part of it. In a truck though. :w000t:

Also, what camera equipment did you lug along? Shots are excellent.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small world Garand!!! Colorado 18 months ago... I'll bet you're one of the guys we heard stories about! Soo many stories though, i can't remember most of them. Just remember mention of Colorado recently.

I'd like to make a Colorado trip myself this year. Hopefully HF will invite me along sometime - i think i can be fairly self-sufficient and not be a burden on the other riders on a trip like that.

The camera was a Canon 7D with the Canon 18-135mm IS lens. Just about the smallest package in a DSLR available while keeping a good quality lens with a good aperture range and good optics. Those night shots around the fire are all hand-held, and i think in the 1/30th shutter range. Impossible with a cheaper lens or camera i think.

I used the smallest Tamarac bag i could find. Its triangular shaped and BARELY fits the camera and lens... Tamarac bags are good quality, and it held its shape well while empty, so i thought it would provide a good amount of protection in case of a get-off on the bike. The way i mounted it to the front of the tank/seat it would also provide ample rain protection. I doused it with a few coats of the rain-proofing spray as well just for extra peace of mind.

I looked at my rear tire a few days ago... originally it was in decent condition, full height knobs, with rounded edges. Now it has half-height knobs, with very square edges. Too much power sliding. lol. Tires are cheap insurance. At $60 a pop i would rather change out new tires frequently than replace riding gear and get skin grafts... :)

This trip totaled out 325 miles on the bike. I added up a little extra with all the cat-herding.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small world Garand!!! Colorado 18 months ago... I'll bet you're one of the guys we heard stories about! Soo many stories though, i can't remember most of them. Just remember mention of Colorado recently.

I'd like to make a Colorado trip myself this year. Hopefully HF will invite me along sometime - i think i can be fairly self-sufficient and not be a burden on the other riders on a trip like that.

The camera was a Canon 7D with the Canon 18-135mm IS lens. Just about the smallest package in a DSLR available while keeping a good quality lens with a good aperture range and good optics. Those night shots around the fire are all hand-held, and i think in the 1/30th shutter range. Impossible with a cheaper lens or camera i think.

I used the smallest Tamarac bag i could find. Its triangular shaped and BARELY fits the camera and lens... Tamarac bags are good quality, and it held its shape well while empty, so i thought it would provide a good amount of protection in case of a get-off on the bike. The way i mounted it to the front of the tank/seat it would also provide ample rain protection. I doused it with a few coats of the rain-proofing spray as well just for extra peace of mind.

I looked at my rear tire a few days ago... originally it was in decent condition, full height knobs, with rounded edges. Now it has half-height knobs, with very square edges. Too much power sliding. lol. Tires are cheap insurance. At $60 a pop i would rather change out new tires frequently than replace riding gear and get skin grafts... :)

This trip totaled out 325 miles on the bike. I added up a little extra with all the cat-herding.

Thanks for the reply. Great night shots. I just started messing with High ISO stuff myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom