In the market or out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you sold it all or riding it down?

• Total voters

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been good times for dollar cost averaging on dividend and covered call long plays.

There have been some good picks in O&G long plays, WMB is up almost 50% over the last 18 months.

It's also been a good time for puts as a short term play.
What strategy do you use for selling options? I’ve traded options in the past but sold my first covered call and it keeps bouncing in and out of the money. It has not got to BE yet, but I anticipate it will.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What strategy do you use for selling options? I’ve traded options in the past but sold my first covered call and it keeps bouncing in and out of the money. It has not got to BE yet, but I anticipate it will.

I have a number dividend producing stocks that I am long on and practice dollar cost averaging on. I typically sell OTM covered calls on these when they are trending downwards if they meet these criteria:

1: You need to own enough units of 100 shares to make it worth your time to watch
2: There needs to be enough implied volatility to create enough potential profit to make it worth your time to watch

If the PE ratio is reasonable, I will typically use this strategy during bear markets to make some extra revenue while waiting for a recovery. Your risk in this derivative strategy is that your covered calls aren't far enough OTM and when the underlying asset recovers, and your contracts get assigned causing you miss out on future growth above the strike price. The trick to getting into a strategy like this DURING a bear market when you don't aren't already in a long position is picking a stock that's stable enough to not tank but still has enough implied volatility to drive up derivative value.

If you're tech savvy, TD Ameritrades "Think or Swim" client has vast options for scripting trades and automating the process a bit, in addition to some pretty awesome scanning features.

Latest posts

Top Bottom