Indulge me here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey fellas I've enjoyed shooting for a while now and am wondering what the next level might be like. I enjoy target shooting but I'm not much on speed. I guess to cut to the chase I have a couple questions. What kind of gun is required and is it really as fun as it looks? Thanks in advance

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its more fun than it looks... and with you living in Duncan you have a local club to shoot at... i have to drive at least 90 minutes to shoot a sanctioned match..

most sports you can shoot a basic production type pistol, ipsc it helps to have at least 4 magazines and idpa you can get by with 3. a good holster is a must and a positive attitude..

any particular style your leaning toward???

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its more fun than it looks... and with you living in Duncan you have a local club to shoot at... i have to drive at least 90 minutes to shoot a sanctioned match..

most sports you can shoot a basic production type pistol, ipsc it helps to have at least 4 magazines and idpa you can get by with 3. a good holster is a must and a positive attitude..

any particular style your leaning toward???

Forgive me for being clueless bbut what do you mean by style? What local club are you speaking of?

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Duncan rifle and pistol club has a match next Sunday. It's their biggest match if the year with 6-8 stages. Should be a great match to get started with.

What kind of gun do you have. You can shoot just about any gun. You will need to shoot up to 32 rounds in a stage so you need that many mags plus some extra in case you miss.

Send me a PM I'd be happy to help you out.

Here is a match list I found. Oklahoma area match list.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Style: uspsa typically has higher round counts per stage idpa requires you to use a few more tactics. Icore requires you to have a revolver. All three are fun because your getting to put rounds down range. Oh and there is steel challenge.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's way more fun than it looks, and it's addictive. Just bring any automatic pistol or revolver that's in any caliber from 9mm-45acp out and give it a try. You'll need 3-5 mags depending on how many yours hold. Any auto pistol will do the trick. I shot my first match with a sig p225 compact pulling 8rd mags out of my back pocket and I still had the time of my life.

Accuracy is the most important aspect of this sport - BY FAR. The speed thing comes later. Shooting is a lot like chess though. Almost anybody can play a perfect game if you give them a year to analyze and plan out each move. Doing it with a timer though, that's when things get interesting.

OKC Gun club is a great match for beginners. They hold it on the first saturday of every month.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
James, just jump in and do it. Most shots are under 15 yards. You will find shots over 25 yards a rare exception. The Stephens County Rifle and Pistol club is a fun place to shoot. People drive from all over the state to shoot there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom