Installing Flooring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Echo4Whiskey

We bought laminate flooring from for our new house 3 years ago. I installed it myself per the instructions, vapor barrier the whole nine yards. Anyway within six
months the flooring starting peeling back and getting bubbles in high traffic areas. This was not a cause of water damage or poor install. We called to company so they could take a look before they replaced it. That was a no go they said it wasnt a product defect and it was bad install. Moral of story is stay away from wood look a likes. Install wasnt impossible just tore up hands. Also some laminate flooring is all one length so you have to cut different lengths to split gaps. Takes alot of time and creates unneeded waste. However hard would comes in different lengths which will work nicely if you decide to do it yourself.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 19823View attachment 19824View attachment 19825

Your comment about " professionals" doesn't apply to everyone.

Nice work JCW and I agree, from more of a Residential standpoint.

More of a one man operation here though. To dang picky to go behind others to make sure they did it right.

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_Tile_t1.jpg

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_Tile_Tile.jpg

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_Tile_Tile3_1.jpg

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_Tile_Shower1.jpg

[Broken External Image]

J

jimmywarwicks

The ceramic tile is a great choice for the whole family room and installation of ceramic tile floor is a common resolve project DO-hands-on homeowner. Ceramic Tile brings a texture, richness and color to a room that Linoleum has yet to truly mimic.

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Installation of ANY flooring is fairly easy! Although, it can go bad in a hurry...Ive currently been installing flooring for 14 years, and just recnetly got out and into my chosen profession of LEO. If I can install it, and teach others to install it, then anyone can do it. Hell I even taught my ex wife how to tile!

Now Carpet is a PITA when it comes to seams, but if you take your time it will all work out!

With that being said, you can do it yourself just follow directions and try to have fun with it.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do another room in wood floors. I'm matching another room with some Bella Cera hand scraped wood floors, this is not a Lumber Liquidators brand, they have a limited Dealer network(Mill Creek or Grigsby's).

Are there any OSA members that could hook me up with a better price than I am getting retail from the local distributors for this product?

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hardest part I had putting in my wood floors, was the transitions -- Going from wood to tile; wood to carpet; and a rear door going outside, fireplace, room to room doorways. Home centers sell transition strips, you might want to try your skill at making your own transitions;

If I had it to do, all over again, I would of spent more time before starting the project looking to see how others worked through those details.

My advice, if you take on a flooring project; look at your budget and figure out which things work for you and what makes everyone happy.

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do flooring commercially daily. REAL professionals make it look easy from years of experience but some people are smart enough to figure things out. Just make sure your carpet isn't "kicked in", you need a power stretcher to get it tight enough. Get an undercut saw and cut the door jambs and make sure you allow for expansion around all vertical surfaces for wood, wood can swell and if you don't allow for expansion it will buckle. A flat floor is very important when glueing a wood floor down and for ceramic also. Also if you can't nail your tack strip down just glue it with something like liquid nails. They make stuff better than liquid nail but I don't remember the name right now. You can pm me if you have anymore questions and I'll try to answer them.

The glue you are refering to is CDX9 (or something similar) can be found at most distribution supply warehouses. That stuff is actually MADE for tackstrip installation as it is ready in 2 hours and completely cured in less than 24

Latest posts

Top Bottom