Interested in 80% lowers. Have no experience. School me please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They can be sold like any other firearm you own. However there are strict guidelines for marking the manufacturer and place of origin. That is all going to be your personal info stamped into the receiver. The exact opposite of anonymity.

This is not correct. Firearms manufactured by an individual cannot be sold unless they are manufactured under an ffl license number.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, let me throw my hat in the ring here. I'm doing exactly what you're talking about, only with 0% lowers. I use a harbor frieght mini-mill that has been modified to have a longer column (Z axis) so that I can finish the buffer tube hole.

I picked up my paperweights from Rguns before they started screwing people. I think I paid $20 for them. It is a lot of fun, I will say that. a DRO system is a must. Trying to mill a lower without it would be an exercise in frustration. It doesn't have to be a top of the line DRO, a simple setup found on ebay works just fine. There are a number of tools to be made on the mill before you mill your first lower, but thats part of the fun!

Expect to invest as much in milling bits and good drill bits, vices, clamps, measuring devices etc as you do in the mill. The mill is only the first in a long list of things you will need.

I do it for the fun and challenge. By the time it's all done, you will have more money in the tooling than you could ever hope to recover making these (after you get the license.) doing an 80% lower removes much of the hard stuff from project, like tapping the buffer tube.

Just remember. you CANNOT mill lowers for anyone else, or sell a lower you have milled to anyone else without the proper FFL license. There is zero tolerance by

Exactly this... As one who had and gave up a manufacturers license, I will assure you that you DON'T want to get into doing it for anyone but yourself unless you completely understand the federal laws and are willing to comply with them.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not correct. Firearms manufactured by an individual cannot be sold unless they are manufactured under an ffl license number.

From what I understand, you can sell them but cant make them with the intent strictly for sale. AKA "I made this for me to use but a year later I decided i dont want it anymore"

Im no expert in the law by any means. Just what I got from what I read.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And a $200 tax paid.

So how does this work?

Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.

How do you establish that a firearm was made for your own use, but got tired of it and sold it? Very interesting!

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you establish that a firearm was made for your own use, but got tired of it and sold it? Very interesting!

Therein lies the debate. I spoke with the owner of www.eplowers.com , and this is what he told me. As long as there is no intent on selling this when it is initially made. The sale from 1 private party to another is not illegal. Now the question of intent come into play. There is no viable of proof of intent that one was made to sell. I have a lower I got from him and dont plan on selling it. If i want to sell it, Ill just strip it down. and sell all but the lower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom