Lower Element burned out on the electric oven (Quick fix)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen it had an extra bright spot 3 days ago making summer sausage.

I thought I should get another one as this one may be about to go out.
Wife called my son today as I was installing windows in his house and said the oven died.
I said ask he if the lower element burned out.

Yep.
On the way home today 5:30 Pm i went to a buddies house as he repairs appliances but seldome has parts on hand.

No part.
I had a thought i could use the top element.
I removed it and stuck it on the bottom.
Works great.

The two 1/4" screws that bolt it to the oven back were not in the same place on the top burner.
Yea making screw holes in a thin steel plate isn't hard.

Get this there is more surface area on the top burner and the oven heats up much quicker using it in the lower section.

Yea turkey needed finished cooking and many other goodies need cooked.

If that would not have worked i was going to search Offerup and craigslist for free ovens or really cheap ones that have some stuff wrong with them.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a toaster oven you can use.
Yea I ain't using your toaster oven.
You probably coating lead bullets in powdercoat in it :)

She used it all day and it has held up just fine.
I got this stove 23 years ago and that oven burner just failed and we cook all the time.

I keep my oven spotless though. No crunchies in the bottom and if there is a spill over it gets cleaned that day.

Wife has always added pats of butter under her apple pie crust like her grandmother did but every stinking time it will boil over and coat the burner with sticky mess and smoke it off.

That cooking process is what kills oven elements.
I have rent houses and I can't believe how messy ovens are that people actually cook in.
Disgusting.

I may be a little bit uppity when it comes to wanting things clean.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Home I am remodeling now is getting another Stove on the back Covered Porch. It will be used to keep the heat out of the home when blanching corn, canning and such out of the garden.
I have friends from India and all of them have a second stove either on the back porch or in the garage for cooking smelly stuff.

:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom