Interesting 2012 Oklahoma Legislative Agenda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2997, authored by Rep. Newell, and SB1810, authored by Sen. Shortey, would make it legal to open carry a loaded handgun in your car.

HB2332, authored by Rep. Moore, will make it legal for a person to open carry on their private property outside their dwelling place for the purposes of self-defense. Currently this is not allowed under state law.

HB2514, authored by Rep. Kern, and SB1778, authored by Sen. Treat, would allow the governing body of a private school to set their own policy weapons. Also, Rep. Cockroft has authored HB2384, which would allow the governing bodies of both private and public school to set their own weapons policy.

HB2776, authored by Rep. Faught, will make it more difficult for an US Attorney to prosecute any citizen under the provisions of the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act.

HB2702, authored by Rep. Vaughan, and SB 1946, authored by Sen. Shortey, adds those who "enter by deception" to Oklahoma's Castle Doctrine law.

HB2383, authored by Rep. Cockroft, SB1550, authored by Sen. Shortey, would lower the fees paid for an Oklahoma concealed carry license to a total of $35 ($10 to the Sheriff and $25 to OSBI) and would remove the fingerprint requirement.

HB2998, authored by Rep. Newell, would reduce the penalty for a CWL holder carrying a concealed weapon into a marked establishment from a crime to a trespass violation.

HB2193, authored by Rep. Murphey, would add "ammo" to the law requiring employers to allow employees with CWL's to leave their weapon (and ammo) in their locked vehicle.

SB1945, authored by Sen. Shortey, would remove misdemeanor drug offenses more than 10 years old from consideration for a CWL.

SB1548, authored by Sen. Shortey, would allow the free market to determine the cost of taking a concealed carry class. Rep. Cockroft has also authored HB2383, which contains similar language as SB1548, but also includes immunity from liability for gun ranges and private property owners when an accident occurs at no fault of the the owner. Sen. Shortey, has also authored a separate bill dealing with gun range immunity, SB1722.

HB2309, authored by Rep. Faught, and SB1947, authored by Sen. Shortey, would take the responsibility to notify police at first contact that a person is carrying a weapon off the citizen. Instead, it would be the police officers responsibility to ask if the person was carrying a weapon.

HB2384, authored by Rep. Cockroft, would make it legal to keep your concealed carry weapon locked in your vehicle while at a public or private secondary school, just as the law allows for college and Vo-Tech campuses.

SB1092, authored by Sen. Russell, is an open carry bill with no licensing requirement. However, a gun safety course would be required.

HB2988, authored by Rep. Ritze, would add places of worship to Oklahoma's Castle Doctrine.

In addition to these bills, several other gun bills have been filed.

Rep. Enns has authored HB2416, an accidental exposure bill, and HB2417, which would allow the governing bodies of both public and private schools to set their own weapons policy.
Sen. Shortey has authored SB1549, which removes public buildings, sports arenas, and pari-mutual gambling establishments form prohibited places for concealed carry. He has also authored SB1717, which would allow the governing bodies of both public and private schools to set their own weapon policy.

Rep. McCullough has authored HB2550, an open carry by license bill. He has also authored HB2537, which address casual exposure, removes public buildings from the list of prohibited places for concealed carry, allows the governing bodies of both public and private schools to set their own weapons policy, and reduces the penalty for carrying a concealed weapon into a marked establishment from a crime to a trespass violation.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I like some of what I see. The issue is going to be which of these are actually heard and voted on. I'm liking the open carry stuff and I am very supporting of lowering the price of the carry permit fees. What do the guys big in the government think here? Do we have a chance of seeing any of these pass?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like they could get together and re write all that stuff in one big 'ol bill....I don't see much in that big mess of stuff that does'nt need changing anyway.

Of course...active SDA holders should be able to open carry if they wish.... Class for Open Carry...that could be added to Hunter Safety for younger folks... and tie it into the hunting licence...they would sell more licences and fund Fish and Wildlife with the money (if they HAVE to do that Open carry thing)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how many of these have a chance to pass. It will beinteresting to see.

Sometimes these guys write bills just to say "I tried".

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a lot of what I see there . I hope we got some good pro 2A laws out of this. I like the one about casual exposure. I would like to know that if my gun accidentally was exposed I would be ok.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw Rep. Kern at the Oklahoma County Republican precinct meetings on Monday, and I thanked her for sponsoring that piece of legislation, even though she was a Santorum supporter, and on the other side of some votes in my Precinct! We Ron Paul folks dominated that meeting. It was beautiful!

Latest posts

Top Bottom