Interesting new money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing new about bitcoin. I read about it 1st time at least 10 years ago and maybe as long as 15 or more ago. Don't remember exactly but it's been around a very long time.

It may have died and been recently resurrected. When I 1st noticed it all those years ago there was lots and lots of activity and lots of stuff available for sale. Never participated; got tired of watching the market for it.

A reasonably good idea IMO but one that won't ever really take off or be more than a flash in the pan. Human nature is such that I don't believe enough people will ever trust the system enough to use it for real.

Nope, conceived in 2007, genesis block generated January 2009. Not sure what you were watching 15 years ago but it wasn't btc. If 6,674% in 2 years doesn't qualify as taking off, what would? People are using it "for real" now.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the our more geekier members may remember the big flare up over Linden dollars.

Basically this was the "fake" money used in the Second Life "game."

People paid cash, to get "Linden" dollars to buy things inside the game. Eventually outside currency exchanges were setup. One that happened and you could move Linden dollars out of the game into cash dollars, then all sorts of things started happening in the game, ponzi schemes, gambling, money laundering, etc. It got to the point that some people in congress wanted to regulate the virtual currency. The game maker eventually banned users engaging in gambling, ponzi schemes, etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but it was a real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Second_Life

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about building an fpga miner one of these days, but by the time I get around to it, the block difficulty will be so high it won't be worth it, lol. Until then, I'm just joining a pool

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I mined bitcoins when it was profitable. Sold enough bitcoins to pay off the hardware. Then bitcoins value tanked. Did some day trading on Mt. Gox as it was more profitable than mining. I've still got a stash of bitcoins. Not cashing out yet...

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing new about bitcoin. I read about it 1st time at least 10 years ago and maybe as long as 15 or more ago. Don't remember exactly but it's been around a very long time.

It may have died and been recently resurrected. When I 1st noticed it all those years ago there was lots and lots of activity and lots of stuff available for sale. Never participated; got tired of watching the market for it.

A reasonably good idea IMO but one that won't ever really take off or be more than a flash in the pan. Human nature is such that I don't believe enough people will ever trust the system enough to use it for real.

This. Pretty popular with the webcam girls.

okwarren

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't recommend anyone buying bitcoins right now. They are currently in a bubble right now. For the price of one bitcoin you can buy two ounces of silver.

Also if bitcoin starts to get pushed mainstream as part of the one world plan, it will be pushed under the guise of being safe and secure, just like credit cards, paypal, and the eventual mark of the beast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom