Is 25 acres enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 30 acres thats mostly timber and has deer and turkey. I saw a nice little buck tonight. The best we could tell was 6 points but it was about 40 yards and dark. I tried to keep feed out for them but someone stole my feeder and I havent bought another. My camera is back up so I hope next time I get pictures of the sob.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 30 acres thats mostly timber and has deer and turkey. I saw a nice little buck tonight. The best we could tell was 6 points but it was about 40 yards and dark. I tried to keep feed out for them but someone stole my feeder and I havent bought another. My camera is back up so I hope next time I get pictures of the sob.

Scoundrels!!!

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't figure out why people spend so much money, just to kill a deer. The meat is not that good. For the price of a lease I can buy a fat 1200 lb steer, tape some sheds to his head. Shoot him, take a few pictures, and have 700 lbs of prime beef. To me the only difference between that and putting a stand by a feeder is the meat is better. Then again I pheasant hunt when I can buy chicken titties for $1.50 a pound at the store, but there's a ton of action in bird hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people hunt deer (especially when I drive at night). I just don't understand why people pay so much to do it and buy land just for that purpose. What am I missing?

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I would love to pick up 25 acres where I might hunt. Seems like I can't find good deals though. Houses are dirt cheap but folks want way too much for land these days.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
you need to just walk the place out and see what kind of sign you see on the place. but being raised in pushmataha county it's a pretty good bet you will have deer coming onto the property especially if it is near the north end of the county like around clayton or albion we have more deer now than we ever had when i was a kid just wish they would open the christmas weekends up for doe gun season like the rest of the state

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people hunt deer (especially when I drive at night). I just don't understand why people pay so much to do it and buy land just for that purpose. What am I missing?

It's simply a hobby. No different than the guy who owns a ski boat. It's simply a matter of what your priorities are. I used to spend a small fortune chasin' skirts and drinkin' beers. Deer hunting is WAY cheaper. All hobbies are simply an expense, whereafter you have nothing of any value to show for it (including pheasant hunting).:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't figure out why people spend so much money, just to kill a deer. The meat is not that good. For the price of a lease I can buy a fat 1200 lb steer, tape some sheds to his head. Shoot him, take a few pictures, and have 700 lbs of prime beef. To me the only difference between that and putting a stand by a feeder is the meat is better. Then again I pheasant hunt when I can buy chicken titties for $1.50 a pound at the store, but there's a ton of action in bird hunting.

I used to have that mind set until I started deer hunting . I guess its like a reality video game where you have to spend time in the woods to figure out their patterns(kind of like figuring out where to put blockers on a pheasant hunt) then setting stands, or stalking one thru the woods.
I love the meat as well as my family, and others. If you don't then you've never had some that has been taken care of in the field and processed, and cooked properly.
Time spent in a deer stand gives me time to reflect on life in general and is a time when I can escape from my busy lifestyle. Its not all about taking a deer, it the whole dammed experience that makes it worthwile.:D

I'll be doing lots of quail and pheasant hunting from here on out with my Britt, but will still get in the stand and get a few more does before it all ends Jan 15 2010:D

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a really good statment I didn't post. I have another place(mine) that is 65 acres on a river. I've talked to all the hunters in that area, and we have all decided to only take a buck if its good enough to hang on a wall. Everybody, but one group of two hunters that lease 55 acres have agreed, and these guys stand there with grins and say "we are meat hunters" we don't care about racks, you can't eat them.
That statment brings out the lack of kowledge they posess. A mature 10 point will produce twice as much meat as a button buck, and I explained it to them but the blank stare just came back my way...Why not take a mature doe, that weighs 100lbs vs a 45 pound fawn......meat hunters my A$$:angry3:

+1 I hunt up by Cherokee and it really trips my trigger when I see button buck and little basket bucks being checked in. In order to manage the population, a doe should be harvested for every buck. If every hunter would choose the mature doe instead of the basket 8 next to her, they would have just as much meat, and a chance at a wall hanger next year. Some people say "well if I didn't shoot him, someone across the fence will." Maybe, maybe not, hopefully it will be the latter, but if you do shoot him, we all know that is as big as that 2 1/2 year old deer will become. Oklahoma has the potential to produce just as big of deer as Kansas and Illinois, but we have to let the little bucks walk, and the big does drop. Sorry for stealing the thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom