Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a .40 a year or two ago. Bought it because I noticed every time there was an ammo scare, there was usually .40 cal on the shelf. I perfer to shoot my 9 or 45. Dont really care for the snap recoil. I can handle it but just personal choice.

Proper grip eliminates most of the "snap".

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have 2 .40 S&W guns. One is a CZ75b that I bought about 15 years ago and that gun will be buried with me. The other is my S&W Shield that I carry daily. I'm seriously considering trading/selling it so I can get a Shield in 9mm. Not because I like 9mm better but because .40 is not a good caliber (to me) for this gun.

I love .40 in my all steel CZ, but the 2 lb difference between the guns makes them very different to shoot.

Oh, and I love my 10mm Caspian 1911 as well.

So, yeah, I hope 40 isn't going away.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought several .40 for carry, because my 1911s got too cumbersome, it seemed. I still carry subcompact .45s once in a while, but my primary carry is one of the two .40s these days. I'll probably pick up a couple more in time, although I will admit I'm not as down on 9mm as I used to be. But still... bigger seems better to me if you can manage it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how .40 could even be consider close to dead? Many LE agencies still use it, there's god knows how many model available and it's all over the ammo shelves. I own some .40s, but I get the .357sig conversion barrel with it, if possible.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive me for not knowing much of anything at all about bullet technology- the reason Im here mainly is to learn stuff- but what is the difference between .40 and 10mm?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .40 S&W is a shortened version of the 10mm...

The FBI tried working with the 10mm years ago, but most women officers, and a lot of men, could not comfortably qualify with the 10mm because of the recoil and muzzle blast. So they shortened the 10mm and created the .40 S&W...

It's kinda like comparing a 38 special to the 357 magnum, in a that it uses the same bullets, just different case lengths...

I shoot a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, as well as a Glock 20 in 10mm, and they are both excellent weapons...

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most pistol rounds suck and at least half the hype associated with 9mm these days is marketing disguised "new data" designed to make you question your own gear. This of course makes you want to go out and buy a new pistol, "like I really need an excuse". As for all the industry so-called "experts" jumping on the bandwagon; the easiest person to sell ANYTHING to is a salesperson. Seriously, the same people driving the move away from the 9mm to the 40 are now driving it back to the 9mm again? At what point does this start to sound like your ex-girlfriends BS or global warming?

The 40 is a long way from dead. It’s a compromise round between power/size/capacity and that is exactly why it will continue to be used. It can mimic the 9mm or 45 in both extremes. Hornady Critical Defense 165 grain does a good job of mimicking 357 Sig too at 1175 fps and at the exact same 506 ft/lbs of energy. That makes the 40 S&W look more like a decathlete not just a compromise.

When talking about modern bonded hollow-points 9/357 Sig/40/45 ALL will get the job done but for a SHTF scenario most people don’t have 500-1000 rounds of $1.25 a shot designer ammo cached away. They have stacks of range FMJ and the caliber argument instantly goes back in favor of larger, heavier offerings.

The other thing I really like about weapons designed for the 40 is the ability to buy a 357 Sig barrel and simply drop it in..“my EDC setup”. Some 9mm conversion barrels work pretty well too. Again, this decathlete can cover all bases in a SHTF scenario giving you a 9/357 Sig/40 in one package. What’s not to love?

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 40S&W simply is not the really hot item it was 15 years ago. It is a good round in standard and compact sized pistols. It's a tad tough to shoot in a subcompact but definitely not undoable. It's tougher on small staturered shooters as well as beginners. The .22LR and 9mm shine there.

Personally I have to admit I'm not pulling the trigger on 40's as much as I did 10 years ago. I've replaced powder burning sessions primarily with the 9mm and secondarily with the .45ACP.

The cartridge is not going away any time soon as it's a good one.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd hate to see it go away. I've shot 40 for years and will continue. I did not notice the snap until someone mentioned it to me a couple of years ago. I still don't notice it unless I consciously think about it having a snap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom