Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how .40 could even be consider close to dead? Many LE agencies still use it, there's god knows how many model available and it's all over the ammo shelves. I own some .40s, but I get the .357sig conversion barrel with it, if possible.
A proper .40 SD load is bad ass round. I think the LE move to 9mm is to accommodate small sized officers. You can suspicion of whom I speak.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's dead or going away. However, if you consider all costs and benefits of your available calibers, it has become increasingly difficult to justify the .40 in most conditions. The FBI did exactly that with a cost/benefit analysis that they've made public. That being said, your needs (and shooting skills) may be different from law enforcement's. In the end, your entire gun system and training regime should provide you the best opportunity to make lethal hits; and for most people 9mm will be better for that end compared to .40. There are exceptions, but those exceptions don't mirror what the average shooter deals with (including law enforcement).

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first carry gun was a gen4 23, kept if for a few years and the more I shot my 19's and 26's I realized I was much slower on follow up shots with the 40. I personally like the round, just gave it up because of it being a little more expensive and the snap recoil on follow up shots. Can't say this for all guns, buts it's there in the 23 vs the 19 glocks.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A proper .40 SD load is bad ass round. I think the LE move to 9mm is to accommodate small sized officers. You can suspicion of whom I speak.
At one time the trade off to 9mm was a bad deal due to ammo effectiveness. Not so much any more. 9mm is cheaper for LE agencies to train more; good for all except the evil doers. Yes its easier to teach someone who is new to handguns on a 9mm to shoot well vs the 40S&W. Handgun effectiveness has a lot to do with quality hit(s) and good purpose-chosen ammo.

okchief

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya, the main argument I've been hearing is "9mm is just as effective as .40 now because of bullet technology" but one would think that .40 would also be just that much better now for the same reason..

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya, the main argument I've been hearing is "9mm is just as effective as .40 now because of bullet technology" but one would think that .40 would also be just that much better now for the same reason..

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Sounds intuitive. But there isn't any evidence to support that position. Also, there's more to having the "best" than 1mm in bullet diameter. "Effectiveness" is poking as many holes as you can, and for most people, 9mm is the best choice for that...for many reasons. The first challenge is simply (or not so simply) getting hits on target. How does .40 help the average person with this?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first challenge is simply (or not so simply) getting hits on target. How does .40 help the average person with this?

It usually has the opposite effect less rounds fired and larger groups. At least at the range! I'd guess even worse in a self defense situation when you add stress.

You are spot on.

T.Ridley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 .40s a m&p and a taurus pt740 slim. I enjoy shooting both of them. I had one 9mm wasnt much of a fan sold it to buy the m&p. Dont have a 45 yet but its on the list.

Latest posts

Top Bottom